Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Guys 

Thanks for you effort to crack this problem.

I can confirm that Graphics card is now working and keys for brightness are also working ok. Paul, I installed the driver that you listed, the one from Intel.

I still haven't found a way to turm on wifi. I am getting tired now. I have ordered Usb one. 😞

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

HP Recommended

The Intel AC3168 driver on the HP250 G6Celeron N3060 sets Resources at:

IRQ 0xFFFFFFFA(-6)

with the "Use Automatic Settings" box ticked and greyed out along with a greyed out "Change Settings" box

So the IRQ is set by the installed driver and cannot be changed

No memory conflict is recorded. I've disallowed the power setting of letting the computer turn the adaptor off "to save power" as it's mostly used on AC power anyway.

For comparison, what IRQ does W10 show on the AC3168 ?

HP Recommended

Another development in this issue:

I was browsing the Notebook Wireless and Networking Discussion Borad (ie. this one) going back a bit.

There was this post:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/How-to-enable-wireless-adapter/td-p/5...

And there it was - someone had reported in 2016 that he could *USE* the AirPlane key on his HP notebook running Win7 to turn the internal wifi adapter on and off ... something we were assuming could not be done until Win8+, but here was someone saying he did it in 2016 in Win7.

I have an HP250 G5 (not a Celeron) about 15 months old running Win7 Pro x64 as well as the newer HP250 G6 Celeron that is causing the wifi off irritation.

So I tried the Airplane key on the older machine (hadn't tried it before, no need). Well, it worked !! The wifi turns on and off with the Airplane key at will, albeit each push takes 2-3 seconds to respond, not standard keyboard instantaneous.

No luck with the HP250 G6 Celeron. Still stubbornly mute.

So it's *NOT* a Win7 problem per se. Make of it what you will, but are MS, Intel and HP in the mix here ?

The HP250 G5, where the Airplane key works in Win7, uses an IRQ of 0xFFFFFFFD(-3) for the AC3165 adapter. I will try using the INF, CAT and SYS files from the older machine driver to install on the N3060 adapter.

HP Recommended

There has to be some kind of deliberate block on the G6.

Microsoft doesn't want to support these new models for anything but W10, and I guess they are getting the PC manufacturers and device hardware manufacturers to ensure that only W10 can be used.

For example:  There is no Intel graphics driver for the 250 G6 models with Kaby Lake chipsets, except for W10.

If you saw that post on the link I posted, someone figured out a way to modify the W10 graphics driver to work on W7.

Unfortunately, to date, there doesn't seem to be a way around the 3168 AC wifi card not working on W7.

HP Recommended

This problem is not limited to the 250 G6, so it is not model-specific.

This is a consumer-class notebook.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/problem-with-turning-on-the-wireless-...

HP Recommended

Yes, the block is deliberate - and clever in that we cannot yet figure out how it is done. Hardware, software, combination ?

Hard, quite sneaky, marketing. It does tell me that informed consumer resistance to Win10 was expected ! (Understandable, given the persistent reports of the forced updates constantly overwriting installations and in some cases, crippling them).

I did try to modify the Win10 AC3168 driver as per the reverse engineering done for the graphics driver. As I commented. lots of squawking on install, no damage or nastygrams, but no effect on the wifi either.

It seems unlikely we will find it, but we do have a better definition of the problem in that it is not Win7 per se.

What now can we see as the difference between the G5 and G6 Win7 installations where the earlier PC has the Airplane key working but the later one does not ? Put in that way, the answer I think is a deliberate hardware block.

Been fun, Paul. I respect true warriors :generic:

HP Recommended

I should have added, and meant to, that the hardware power block in the AC3168 is unblocked by some registry input on W10 bootup, a bootstrap time instruction I think, as the operating, connected wifi icon turns up on the W10 boot screen (bottom right-hand corner) early in the boot sequence way before one logs in with the normal password.

The AC3165 and earlier adapters do not have this issue. Certainly the AC3165 does not.

I'll stop here now. My coding skills are so poor that even in a hex editor I have no hope. Coded bootstrap instructions are quite a few bridges too far.

HP Recommended

I wonder if you put an AC 3165 or AC 7265 M.2 form factor wifi adapter in the G6 if it would work properly on W7.

The AC 7265 would be a superior card.

HP Recommended

The AC3165 would. The other one (AC7265) I don't know.

I no longer have a W10 installation (don't miss it, either) so I cannot test this next possibility:

use a safe registry editor to search a Win10 G6 installation for "AC3168" or some equally likely phrase

It's not in the adapter driver as that assumes the power will be turned on by some other instruction. In fact, the driver is clearly unaware that the power is turned off - that's why the Device Manager message for the adapter driver reports all is working correctly.

So if anyone can examine a W10 G6 registry for this instruction (maybe more than one) perhaps progress may occur.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.