Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Here are two posts where folks have stated the 3168 AC wifi card works on W7.

One says sp79134 worked for this model...see the next to the last post.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/I-need-graphics-driver-for-HP-...

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp79001-79500/sp79134.exe

This person stated the latest W7 driver from Intel works for his 255 G6 (AMD)...see the next to the last post.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Operating-System-and-Recovery/drivers-for-HP-255-G6-1WY47EA/t...

HP Recommended

Thanks for persisting, looking out for this, Paul. Much appreciated.

As we know, the actual 3168 AC wifi card *driver* is not the issue. It's activating the F12/airplane key to turn the power on for the card.

[HP250 Celeron G6 machine, running Win7 Pro x64 after installing Win7 in place of Win10]

1) The newer Win20.70.0 PROset driver does not do anything for the power issue

2) the file sp79134.exe will not fully download from the ftp site you've listed. About 50% of the file downloads then stops as if finished. The file is corrupted, of course, and won't install at all.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I don't know how these two folks are claiming the card works on their notebooks with W7, then.

I had no problem downloading the entire sp79134 file.

File size indicated 114 MB, and that is what downloaded (actual file size after downloading is 117 MB).

You might want to try it again.  Maybe the FTP site was flaky when you tried downloading the file.

HP Recommended

Paul

Sorry for the delay in replying - a work project turned critical.

I've downloaded sp79134 from the ftp site now. It is for Win10 only, so useless for Win 7.

As I'd noted, the upgraded WiFi PROSet driver 20.70.0 does not address the F12 airplane key power issue.

I think the two people who said they had solved this issue likely were referring to a Win10 installation ?

I greatly appreciate your continued interest in this.

HP Recommended

Interesting.

Both of those guys stated they installed W7.

Maybe they gave up and installed W10, and didn't tell me that.

HP Recommended

OK, guys...we are getting warmer...

I don't know if you want to go through the hassle of taking the notebook apart and masking pins, but check out this thread.

Masking pins on the wifi card worked for the RTL8723DE wifi card which does the same thing as the Intel one.   Drivers install but the card doesn't work...

See the next to the last post...

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/wireless-button-radio-driver/m-p/6821...

HP Recommended

so do we have any solution for this problem or not. i have tried everything on this forum(except masking pins)  bt nothing works at all.

HP Recommended

There is no solution at this time.

Nobody has tried masking the pins yet on the 3168 AC, so even that is uncertain.

HP Recommended

Unsure if this was answered yet but I just solved my issue with this, hold down the windows key and press x to open up a menu for the function options. Sorted out my wireless issue from there. 

HP Recommended

Masking is working!!! As you can see in the photo, I masked two pins. After masking, wifi came up and also bluetooth

intel ac3168.pngIMG_1552.jpg

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.