Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 630
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi All,

completed free upgrade from WIndows 7 Home to Windows 10. Did it via Ethernet NIC - all completed successfully - licence activated. After that I did clean install and again all seems to be fine - except when I tried to use WiFi. There is a red cross on it and it cant detect any networks. Can't be turned on - doesnt react. Only thing it does is switching Airplane mode on or off by pressing hardware or software button.

Obviously driver problem. In device manager WiFi  shows as Aetheros AR9285 and there is no warning - functioning normaly. I tried to check no HP site for the product but indeed there is just Windows 7 driver which cant be installed as Windows 10 says its not for this version of OS.

So I tried to download the one from Aetheros directly https://www.atheros-drivers.com/atheros-wireless-drivers.html. Downloaded AR9285 for Windows 10 (no exe just inf files etc..) and installed it via "update driver". Completed successfully, reboot done but still the same - no WiFi - unable to turn it on in Windows. 

Anyone have this notebook and know which driver to use?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

so, finaly I managed to find a solution on some Linux forum:

- Pull out the battery

- Go to BIOS

- F9 to reset to defaults

-F10 to save and exit

WiFi works again.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

so, finaly I managed to find a solution on some Linux forum:

- Pull out the battery

- Go to BIOS

- F9 to reset to defaults

-F10 to save and exit

WiFi works again.

HP Recommended
Thanks a Billion... I almost died trying to fix it...😊
HP Recommended

Magical solution! Really work.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.