Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

I went back and reinstalled the Win7 driver and booted up. Wireless works just fine there; I left it on when i shutdown.  I still feel like there is some driver or associated setting in Windows 8.1 that is preventing the WLAN card from being turned on.  Are there any other hardware troubleshooting tools available from HP or a 3rd party?

Regards, Steve

HP Recommended

Hi, Steve:

That is very odd.

There are drivers for that card on your notebook's W8.1 support page, so it should be fully supported.

There is a HP 4 in 1 bootable diagnostics key that you can download and put on a USB flash drive.

Bottom of the page, middle file.

https://www8.hp.com/us/en/campaigns/hpsupportassistant/pc-diags.html

HP Recommended

HI Paul,

I downloaded and tested both of the PC Diagnostic tools you suggested. Wifi Card did not show any errors, passed the PC-based IRQ and ROM tests, the other test just said it passed.  I guess I will just have to buy a USB wireless card for now... 😞

Thanks for all the help!

Regards, Steve

HP Recommended

Anytime, Steve:

Glad to have been of assistance.

I am bewildered by your wifi problem.

HP Recommended

HI Paul,

Update: I found out what was causing the issue. In the BIOS settings, Enable LAN/WLAN Switching was checked. I unchecked/saved/rebooted and the wireless device works now.  I do not recall ever changing that BIOS value.

Regards, Steve

HP Recommended

That is great news, Steve.

That setting is enabled by default.

I completely forgot that if you have the notebook connected by ethernet, it will automatically disable the wifi unless you disable that setting.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.