Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Chromebook x360 - 14c-ca0053dx
Chrome OS

I have owned an HP Chromebook laptop for 7 months. Haven't experienced any issues with using to my Home network until a few days ago. When I tried connected to my Home network, I was able to connect but got no internet access. I got the prompt "The Wi-Fi you are using may require you to visit its login page" which I usually get at public networks (ex: Starbucks). When I click that, it takes me to the Portal Authorization page, which says "the site can't be reached".  

I checked all my other devices and they had no internet access issues on my home network.  

I tried restarting my router and that had no effect.

I then moved all my files and did a Powerwash.

I tried again and got the same effect on my Home wifi.

I was however able to log on using any other public wifi and my phone's hotspot.

I took the laptop to the Geek Squad at Best Buy and they tried fixing a setting, but it didn't change anything when I tried again at home.

After my 2nd trip to the Geek Squad, they recommended I have in-home support check it out as it was an Environemental issue that only happened on my Home wifi.

Today, after 3 days the internet access on my Home wifi is not an issue on my HP Chromebook.

I haven't changed anything so I guess it self-corrected somehow. 

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Can HP recommend any best practices so that I can avoid this in the future?

Since I use the laptop for business, it's really important that my Home wifi works.

A weird issue indeed. Happy that for now it's fixed. But because it self-corrected, I'm concerned what the cause of issue was.

Screenshot 2022-08-02 7.21.08 PM.pngScreenshot 2022-08-02 7.20.16 PM.png

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

I just got the same issue today.

All my other devices work fine on my home network, but, for some reason, my Chromebook gives me the same message as yours: The wi-fi network you are using may require you to visit it's login page...

I've tried to forget the network, restarting my router, restarting the Chromebook, changing the DNS to Google - nothing worked.

But, what was peculiar was that some apps I use that requires internet data DOES work. But, I can't browse using a browser such as Chrome or Firefox. I can't update my apps either, they just get stuck on PENDING. I also can't update the OS or check for updates.

When I think about this issue, I am concerned it won't get fixed since if it requires an update, but, it can't access the internet, then how can it update?

Unless some tweaking can fix it. Or it can access data using my phone. I'll have to check if I can do that.

HP Recommended

Actually, I was incorrect that some of my apps worked. I thought since it displayed data, it worked. But, when I clicked on a link it said Update Failed. It's a stock market app.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.