Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 17 j111SL
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

Can't update my laptop ENVY 7 to Windows 10 Fall creator update (Windows 10 Version 1803) as my wifi won't work. Tried severl times, always needed to go back to previous restore point. Now, again, windows downloaded the update and will install after teh restart...so how to deal with it? I've read that Ralink RT3290, which is installed on my laptop, does not get along with Windows 10. Now, the last update is the Windows version 1903. Maybe the issue was adressed. Should I risk with an update?

I realy need to adress this issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ps after the update the wifi connect for a moment but then it turn off with the limited connection symbol on

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

That model wifi card does not work well with the latest builds of W10.   

The problem gets worse, not better, as you update W10.

What I advise you to do would be to upgrade the wifi card to this model...

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 802.11 ac 2x2 WiFi + BT 4.0    HP Part # 710661-001

You should be able to find this model on eBay.  Search by the HP part number, not the model of the wifi card.

Before installing the Intel card, go to the Windows control panel>programs>uninstall a program.

If there is any Ralink bluetooth software listed there, uninstall it.

Then go to the device manager, uninstall the Ralink bluetooth adapter under the Bluetooth adapters device manager category and check the uninstall driver box.

Do the same thing for the Ralink wifi adapter under the Network Adapters device manager category.

Then shut down, unplug the PC, remove the battery and install the wifi card.

Here are the links to the latest W8.1 wifi and bluetooth drivers for the Intel 7260 AC card...

Wifi:  3rd one down on the left side of the page.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28621/Intel-PROSet-Wireless-Software-and-Drivers-for-Intel...

Bluetooth:   3rd one down on the left side of the page.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28622/Intel-Wireless-Bluetooth-for-Intel-Wireless-7260-Fam...

HP Recommended

Dear Paul,

Thnak you for your support. Will this one work?

https://www.amazon.ae/710661-001-Intel-Wireless-ac-7260-Pci-express/dp/B00PDLCFL8

Thank you again

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

It has a different HP SPS number (784639-005), but I think it will work.

HP Recommended

Dear Paul,

Yesterday my laptop "forced me" to update. I have now Win 10 Version 1909 Build 18363-815 and...the wifi works! So didn't need to change the card. I really can't explain why it works but it does. Maybe the last build of win is comptible with that wifi card? No idea. Anyway, cannot exclude to have the same problem with the wifi when Widnows 10 will update again...

In any case, thank you very much for your support.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Glad that the newer version of Windows helped.

Usually the newer the build, the worse things get with the Ralink wifi cards.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.