Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Check your firmware....

Type:

Firmware

Version:

CFP1FN1617BR

Operating systems:

Windows 7 (32 bit)

Release date:

May 17, 2016

File name:

Description:

Before starting the upgrade: • The HP ENVY 4520 series Firmware flashing (upgrade) requires a USB connection.
• DO NOT upgrade the printer firmware in a wirelessly connected printer.
• If the computer has a firewall installed or enabled, it may block the Firmware Download Utility from accessing the printer. Therefore, please remember to temporarily disable any firewall that may be on the computer, including firewalls such as Microsoft Windows XP Firewall, Sygate, Zone Alarm or BlackICE
Install instructions:
1. Switch on the HP ENVY 4520 series printer and wait until the printer is READY. [The Power light should be on]
2. Double click EN4520_R1617B.exe to launch the HP Printer Update utility. A list of HP ENVY 4520 series detected will be displayed on the screen.
Note: If the Wired network printer you wish to upgrade is not displayed in the detected printer list, click on the Refresh button to scan for printers connected via the wired network.
3. Click on the checkboxes on the left to select single or multiple HP ENVY 4520 series you wish to upgrade.
4. Click on the Update button to start the firmware flashing process.
5. Message showing "The selected printer has been updated successfully" will be shown. Firmware flashing will begin.
CAUTION! Do not interrupt the printer during the upgrade process. Printer maybe damaged if power is interrupted during the firmware upgrade process.
6. When the printer has successfully completed the flashing process, it will automatically print out a Self Test Diagnostic Page, that will show the new firmware version.
7. Click on the Done button to close the HP Printer Update utility.

Fix and enhancements:

1. Add support for new 4x5" media size
2. Improved Wi-Fi connection stability
3. Miscellaneous bug fixes
HP Recommended

Tried everything so far except fully de-installing printer and hardware.  If that doesn't work, I will use my remaining ink and buy another brand.  These issues are way too common out there.  An ethernet connection defeats the purpose of a wireless printer.  I appreciate the time.

HP Recommended

See above the firmware post... do you need to upgrade since it says it fixes wireless issues.

HP Recommended

I'm using a Mac.  I checked for latest firmware and it said there wasn't an update for the firmware.

HP Recommended

I find it there...

Type:

Firmware

Version:

CFP1FN1617BR

Operating systems:

Mac OS X 10.11

Release date:

May 30, 2016

File name:

Description:

Firmware for the HP ENVY 4520 series
To check the version of your current printer firmware, use either one of the following options:
Toolbox
1. Click on the Printer/Scan under System Preferences.
2. Press ‘+’ to install Mac full software and select the printer after installed
3. Click on Options and Supplies.
4. Click on the Utility tab.
5. Click Open Printer Utility.
6. Click on Device Information under Information and Print Quality Diagnostics
Alternatively, use the following:
Printer Information Screen
1. From the main home page of Control panel, scroll to the right to locate Help menu. Touch Help and select Printer Information.
2. Scroll to the bottom of the screen.
3. The current firmware revision will appear on the screen.
Printing a Printer Status Report
1. From the Control panel, select Setup, select Reports, then select Printer Status Report.
2. The Printer Status Report will be printed.
3. The current firmware revision will appear on the printed Printer Status Report.

Fix and enhancements:

1. Add support for new 4x5" media size
2. Improved Wi-Fi connection stability
3. Miscellaneous bug fixes
HP Recommended

I tried that version.  That's the version I downloaded as well.  Apparently, my device has the latest firmware as I get the message "this updater does not include an update for the firmware".

HP Recommended

Here's the real problem.  Not all of us worked for HP, and are not particularly computer savvy.  The **bleep** thing ought to work by following the usual instructions, not having to change IP addresses, fool around with routers, or any of the techy stuff that the tech proficient are capable of.  The HP audience is vast, a spectrum of ages and capabilities, and (obviously) impatience.  I have tried some of the suggested solutions, and, like others, found that they are not permanent, not always easy, and not particularly helpful to me.  I would like to have a straight-forward, easy to understand answer to this question:  Why does it go offline (and why can't I turn off the sleep mode permanently for heaven's sake - HP?  What idiot created that rule?)  and how can I just get it to stay on - even by just unplugging it and re-plugging it.  Honestly.   And if there is an HP forum, why isn't HP reviewing this criticism and fixing their problem?  Ugh.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.