Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion dv6-2157ez
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I think that this is widespread problem. I read a lot of themes and nobody offered solution that works!

My PC product number is WE042EA#UUZ. It is upgraded and has 8gb of RAM and SSD Samsung 850 EVO 500GB.

My network adapter is Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6200 AGN

I run Windows 10 64 bit, version 1607, with all current updates

I have cable internet and cable modem is connected to Wi-Fi router TP Link TL-WR941ND, V5.1

My desktop is connected to the router via external antenna TP Link TL-WN722N

3 smartpones (rarely more) are also connected to my local Wi-Fi network and that is about it, network has WPA2-Personal security so no other users are connected.

My ancient laptop FujitsuSiemens Amilo Li1718 never had connection problems that this laptop has. It worked just fine, was connected and all of a sudden it disconnects and when I try to connect again it says can't connect to this network. Other devices are connected and are working properly, using internet, just laptop is having this issue.

I saw one post on this forum, which I will quote here and write my answers in it:

"Re: HP Pavilion dv6 notebook won't connect wirelessly

Hello @smcar ,

Welcome to the HP Forums!

I understand the computer cannot connect to your wireless network. I'll do what I can to assist you!

First, you want to make sure the basic troubleshooting is done:

Troubleshooting Wireless Network and Internet (Windows 😎
Troubleshooting Your Wireless Network and Internet Connection (Windows 7)

I ran "Troubleshoot Network" and it says "you have not chosen to connect to any of the avaliable wireless networks" and in Problems found it says "you have no preferred wireless networks". Sometimes I try to connect and it asks security key which it won't accept, I do a multiple click on connect and nothing happens, typed password is still there but it doesn't accept any click. Other times, after "verifying and connecting" it just gives the message "can't connect to this network".

In comparison to the router, where is the notebook and where is everything else? Also, is the computer connected to a 5.0 GHz channel or 2.4 GHz? This information can be important and might explain why there are issues.

Router is in one room, all other devices are in another. All devices are in the same distance from router. My network is 2.4 GHz, 3 channels (wireless mode 802.11n).

Next, power cycling the network is useful since it will refresh everything:

1. Shut down your notebook.
2. Unplug the power to your router.
3. Unplug the power to your modem.
4. Wait at least 45 seconds.
5. Plug in the modem, and wait for it to come back online.
6. Plug in the router, and wait for it to come back online.
7. Turn on your notebook, and test your connection.

I did all of this so many times, didn't help.

Disable the Power Off option for the adapter. This is to ensure it isn't turning off or losing power:

1. Open Device Manager. (Win Key+R > type devmgmt.msc > OK)
2. Expand the Network adapters.
3. Right click on the Ethernet/Wireless Adapter and click Properties.
4. Click the Power Management tab.
5. Remove the check mark beside Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.
6. Click OK.
7. Test.

I did this, didn't help.

Uninstalling and reinstalling the wireless adapter driver is next, since the driver may need to be refreshed:

1. Go into Device Manager, then Network adapters.

2. Right-click on the wireless driver, and select "Uninstall".

3. Restart the computer. This will force the driver to reinstall itself. Test.

I did this didn't help. It reinstalls the driver version 15.4.1.1 (31.01.2013) which worked vefore, but doesn't work anymore. I installed latest Intel drivers "Intel PROSet/Wireless Software and Drivers for Windows 10", versions 18.40.4 (28.06.2016) and latest version 19.20.3 (05.12.2016) and in the device manager it shows new version, but this also didn't help. Since it worked before with old driver I assume that this is not a driver issue!

Reset the TCP/IP settings on your PC:

1. Go to your start screen/menu and type CMD.
2. Right click on the command prompt icon and chose Run as administrator.
3. In the window that opens type "netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt" without quotes, and press enter.
4. Restart your PC and test.

I did this, didn't help.

It may also help to reset the winsock catalogue:

1. Go to your start screen/menu and type CMD.
2. Right click on the command prompt icon and chose Run as administrator.
3. In the window that opens type "netsh winsock reset" without quotes, and press enter.
4. Restart your PC and test.

I did this, didn't help.

Test another connection:

Many people rule out their home network as an issue if another device is working on the same network. Networking is not that simple. Each device interacts differently with your router or modem and it is impossible to rule out settings in that device until the notebook has been tested on another network.

When I create portable hotspot on my smartphone (home network) my laptop connects but has no internet, and my smartphone also can't go to internet! When I turn hotspot off my phone Wi-Fi with home network works!

BUT, when I turn Wi-Fi off on my smartphone and connect to mobile data, create hotspot, laptop connects and can go to internet! Can someone diagnose this issue?!

If those three steps do not resolve the issue, try this document published by Microsoft for networking issues: Wired and wireless network problems.

Please let me know your results. If the issue persists, please provide the following information:

1. The computer's model number. If you require assistance locating this information, please reference this website: Guide to finding your notebook product number

2. The computer's operating system. If you require assistance locating this information, please reference this website to determine your Windows operating system.

3. Have you installed any new software or drivers on this computer, before the issue appeared?

No, it just happened.

Additionally, if the issue just began occurring, I would perform a system restore. I want you to bring the computer back to the earliest restore point possible, in an attempt to dodge whatever caused the issue. Here is a document on how to perform a System Restore: System Restore

Mario

I worked on behalf of HP."
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

After my initial post I figured to do one more thing, which I did not dtrybefore. I took the laptop and went to the router room and I pushed and holded the WPS/reset button on the back of the router. At the same time I tried to connect with my laptop. It gave messages that it can't connect but then it connected and it is now connected for some15 hours with no drops in connection.

The WPS indication light on my router is off since I did this. I dont know if I turned off some additional security, I hope I didn't. My desktop TP-Link program says its security is still WPA2-Personal.

I hope I'm done with these kinf of problems. I also feel sorry for the rest of the crowd having this issue. I don't now how can a huge company like HP let something like this happen to their devices.

Chimney_83, thank you very much for trying to assist me in this issue!!!

It would be nice to have some explanation for this issue, what was the problem?

Then you can mark this theme as solved.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @yowandbm

Thanks for the post. 

I see you are unable to access the internet even if the computer connects to the network. I would like to help. 

Kudos to you for describing the issue in such good detail. 

As you have exhausted a lot of options. 

I recommend you to uninstall the driver again and when you are uninstalling the driver, you will have an option to delete the driver as well. Please delete it and restart the computer and check. 

If the issue persists, please perform a push button reset. Click here for assistance. 

When the computer connects to any network, can you check and share the ip address? (open command prompt as administrator and type ipconfig in command prompt and hit the enter button to find the ip address.)

Keep me posted. 

If the information I've provided was helpful,
Please give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accepted Solution" and "Kudos" buttons,
That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!
Good Luck.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

After my initial post I figured to do one more thing, which I did not dtrybefore. I took the laptop and went to the router room and I pushed and holded the WPS/reset button on the back of the router. At the same time I tried to connect with my laptop. It gave messages that it can't connect but then it connected and it is now connected for some15 hours with no drops in connection.

The WPS indication light on my router is off since I did this. I dont know if I turned off some additional security, I hope I didn't. My desktop TP-Link program says its security is still WPA2-Personal.

I hope I'm done with these kinf of problems. I also feel sorry for the rest of the crowd having this issue. I don't now how can a huge company like HP let something like this happen to their devices.

Chimney_83, thank you very much for trying to assist me in this issue!!!

It would be nice to have some explanation for this issue, what was the problem?

Then you can mark this theme as solved.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply, I am glad that you resolved the issue by resetting the router. You can click on the accepted solution button on the post by logging in on HP Forums. 

Please do post on our forums for any assistance. 

If the information I've provided was helpful, please give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accepted Solution" and "Kudos" buttons, that’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.