Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion dv7
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The computer has been working fine.  No BIOS upgrades or WiFi adapter changes.  All of a sudden it won't boot - error message: Wireless Module not supported. The system has detected a Wireless module installed in the system is not supported. System halted.

WIMAX Module ID (706).  The wireless adapter is a Centrino Wireless N - WIMAX 6150; Model 612BNXHMW.  I believe I found it in the manual as being in the BIOS whitelist and assume it must have been since the computer has worked fine for many years.  Is it possible the WiFi adapter failed?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@DPD1

This looks like a hardware issue.

Please reach out to the HP Support in your region regarding the service options for your printer.

Hope this helps!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@DPD1, Welcome to HP Support Community!

To provide you with an accurate solution, I would like to know the following:

Have you made any software or hardware changes before the issue started?

Are you trying to install a new wireless card on your notebook?

May I have the exact model name of the product? Refer to this document for steps to find the product details. Do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc. 

Keep me posted for further assistance.

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for your response.

The model number is a dv7 - 6c95dx. There were no Windows updates just prior to this error occurring they were 2 months before the error started.  As far as software that was installed, Microsoft Office  365,  OneDrive, Adobe Acrobat Reader, and Flash Player  were installed. We are not installing a new wireless adapter. This is still the original one that came with the computer when it was purchased quite a number of years ago.

HP Recommended

@DPD1

Follow the steps below to further troubleshoot on the issue-

Step 1 Network Troubleshooter -

1) In the search box, type and open "Troubleshooter".

2) Click on "Network and Internet".

3) Click on "Internet Connections". 

Step 2 Re-install the Network Adapter -

1) In the search box on the task bar, type Device Manager, and then select Device Manager from the list of results.

2) In Device Manager, select Network adapters > the network adapter name.

3) Right-click on the network adapter, and then select Uninstall device > Delete the driver software for this device check box > Uninstall.

4) Restart the computer. 

Connect an Ethernet cable and update the BIOS - https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c00042629

Keep me posted for further assistance.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for your response. I will be able to give this a try tomorrow night. As soon as I do, I will respond to let you know whether or not it worked.

HP Recommended

@DPD1

Sure 🙂 

Will wait for your response.

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Step 1 Network Troubleshooter -

The only way to boot the computer past the error is to physically remove the wireless adapter card.   I then connect via an ethernet cable.  Network troubleshooter says everything is fine. 

Step 2 Re-install the Network Adapter -

With the wireless adapter removed,  no drivers are displayed.   I uninstalled what was there,  reinstalled the wireless adapter card - the computer would not boot - same error as before.

STEP 3. Connect an Ethernet cable and update the BIOS 

I used HP Support Assistant to check for updates - no updates needed. 

Thanks again for your help.   So far same problem occurs.  No resolution. 

HP Recommended

@DPD1

Test the WiFi Module-

1) Shutdown the computer.

2) Turn the computer back on again and repeatedly tap on the ESC until a Startup menu appears.

3) Press F2 once.

4) Go to Component test.

5) From the list, run the Wi-Fi module test.

If the test passes, reinstall the OS-

1) Shutdown the computer. 

2) Turn the computer back on again and repeatedly tap on the ESC until a Startup menu appears. 

3) Press F11 once for System Recovery. 

4) Choose the Keyboard Layout. 

5) Click on Troubleshoot. 

6) Go to Recovery Manager and click on System Recovery. 

Note: Back-up all your data as System Recovery will delete everything that you had saved or installed on the computer.

Keep me posted.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Sorry, I thought you had not replied - I must have missed the message.  I will try this again over the weekend.  When I have tried it in the past, the error seems to take precedence over trying to get into the bios or get a startup menu - it errors out immediately on the WIFI adapter.  But... I will try a few different things to see if I can get by it.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

@DPD1

This looks like a hardware issue.

Please reach out to the HP Support in your region regarding the service options for your printer.

Hope this helps!

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.