Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP G60-539DX
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I am running Windows 7 (64-bit) Home Premium on an HP laptop G60-549DX, which I have had since 2009. Had factory-installed Atheros wireless network adapter.

I requested and received new dual-band router from AT&T: Arris NVG599. I had the older one for about 3 years.

After installation, initially located my wireless network, along with others in area, and I was able to connect to the router with the password provided. Network was also visible to all other devices (TV, Blu-ray, iPad’s, Macbook Pro, iPhones). All devices connected with no problems.

After a few minutes, I found my G60's wireless network adapter could not locate the wireless network, but it showed the others in the area. All other devices were still connected to the network.

I tried uninstalling/reinstalling adapter, turning router off/on, updating to latest driver.

I logged into my router address and found both bands were on and SSID was broadcasting.

Since the new router is a dual band, I opted to buy a dual-band replacement wireless network adapter from HP whitelist as found in the HP G60 Notebook PC Maintenance and Service Guide (Atheros AR9280).

I installed it and the system detected the device and installed it automatically. Device manager shows it as it's AKA: AR5009 802.11 a/g/n WiFi Adapter.

The same results: initially found wireless network and was able to connect with password. Soon after, connection ended abruptly and network no longer visible, but other networks still visible. All other devices still connected.

Tried same options as before: uninstall/reinstall, etc.

Network will be visible and upon attempt to connect, message appears saying it was unable to connect. I tried the troubleshooter and it reads, “Problem with wireless adapter or access point - not fixed.” The network is no longer visible in list of available networks.

I also did the following:

Deleted and re-added the network profile.

Updated BIOS – update found on HP support website.

Located most recent Atheros driver on HP support website (“Atheros 2011”).

After this, the same thing happened. It was déjà vu, “all over again.”

Attempted same remedies as before, with same results and no lasting success.

One more thing: with both the old and newer adapters, I was able to connect to my iPhone when I use it as a gateway. Password was required and accepted with no problem. Connection successfu and is being used now.

What else can anyone suggest to get this wireless adapter working correctly so that it consistently detects and connects to my wireless network as broadcasted by the router?

I was considering buying another dual-band network card from the whitelist, like the Intel Wi-Fi Link 5100 802.11 a/b/g/n. They are inexpensive since my laptop has been out for more than a few years. It would either be this or a USB wireless network adapter.

I would greatly appreciate any help anyone can provide.

Thanks,

Chris

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Occam's Razor, put simply, states: “the simplest solution is almost always the best

Apparently, it was the router/gateway

After my last entry, I contacted AT&T to order a brand new router. Key words are "brand new".

When I had originally contacted them in late April to send me their latest and  up-to-date router, the one I was sent was an obviously used Arris NVG599 dual-band router (dated 9/21/2014), with which I had the recent connectivity issues.

While waiting for it to arrive, I found I also could not connect my older Canon MG3222 wireless printer (2.4 GHZ) or a TP-Link 2.4 GHZ band range extender, both of which I couId easily connect to the original 2.4 GHZ router.

Yesterday, I received a brand new Arris BGW210 dual-band gateway (dated 3/29/2018) and installed it today.

Everything connected quickly, however I am still using the AR5009 network adapter in my laptop and the AT&T Smart Home Manager App shows I am connected at 5 GHZ with this. Printer and all other devices connected with no problems.

I did order a used HP branded Intel Wifi Link 5100 for $6 on eBay,  but it had not yet arrived when I received the latest router. I will keep it on standby, just in case.

Thanks again for your assistance, Mr. Tikkanen.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

There are a few versions of the atheros 2011 wifi driver.

This was the latest one available for the AR5007/9...

9.2.0.444     Sep 14, 2011

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp54501-55000/sp54972.exe

If that is the one you used, or this one doesn't work either, then your idea to get an Intel 5100 is probably a good one.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the suggestion, Mr. Tikkanen.

The success was short-lived as it detected the network and allowed me to connect for less than a minute before it disconnected and the network went invisible.

Other networks are still visible.

I will buy the Intel 5100 and give it a shot.

Have a great day and thanks for all the help you provide everyone here.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Please post back and let us know if installing the HP branded Intel Wifi Link 5100 resolved the problem for you.

HP Recommended

Occam's Razor, put simply, states: “the simplest solution is almost always the best

Apparently, it was the router/gateway

After my last entry, I contacted AT&T to order a brand new router. Key words are "brand new".

When I had originally contacted them in late April to send me their latest and  up-to-date router, the one I was sent was an obviously used Arris NVG599 dual-band router (dated 9/21/2014), with which I had the recent connectivity issues.

While waiting for it to arrive, I found I also could not connect my older Canon MG3222 wireless printer (2.4 GHZ) or a TP-Link 2.4 GHZ band range extender, both of which I couId easily connect to the original 2.4 GHZ router.

Yesterday, I received a brand new Arris BGW210 dual-band gateway (dated 3/29/2018) and installed it today.

Everything connected quickly, however I am still using the AR5009 network adapter in my laptop and the AT&T Smart Home Manager App shows I am connected at 5 GHZ with this. Printer and all other devices connected with no problems.

I did order a used HP branded Intel Wifi Link 5100 for $6 on eBay,  but it had not yet arrived when I received the latest router. I will keep it on standby, just in case.

Thanks again for your assistance, Mr. Tikkanen.

HP Recommended

That is great news.

Glad you were able to resolve the problem.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.