Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bobriff1
6 4 0 0
Message 1 of 6
Flag Post

Solved!

How to reset PC to factory settings (Pavilion 17 L0Q89UA#ABA)

HP Recommended
Pavilion 17 Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My Wi-Fi icon no longer shows up on my taskbar and i don't see a driver for it in Device Manager. How can I reset the PC to original factory settings? I'm hoping that will restore my missing driver.  Do I need to install HP Restore app to restore from the "D: " partition on my HD? If so, where can I download it? I've downloaded a couple of them, but they won't install properly. Windows boots up fine and ethernet port is working, just no wi-fi. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
33,786 32,908 3,069 7,570
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@bobriff1 

OK -- if you insist on doing this -- press the Esc key repeatedly while rebooting.  When the HP Startup Menu appears, choose the option to do the reset -- usually F11.  If that does not work, you would have to use external media to do the reset.

***If my post helped, click the thumbs-up symbol to say thanks***

***Please mark Accept As Solution if my post solved your problem***

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP

View solution in original post

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
5 REPLIES 5
WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
Message 2 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@bobriff1 

I would personally advise strongly against doing a factory reset.  That will set your PC back MONTHS and you will then be saddled with Windows Updates for hours, just trying to bring the OS up to date -- and those will lock up your PC, making it unusable.

Since this is a WiFi problem, I am moving this thread to the Networking section where the folks there can see it and then respond to your issue with suggestions about getting the WiFi working again.

bobriff1
Author
6 4 0 0
Message 3 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks, I wasn't sure which topic to put it in. 

bobriff1
Author
6 4 0 0
Message 4 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

If i do end up wanting to reset to factory settings, can you tell me how I need to go about it? I know it'll be a pain and there is a chance I'll end up worse off, but I might take the chance anyway. It's an old computer that I was thinking of giving to my son, but it's not much good the way it is. Thanks again. 

WAWood
Level 16
Level 16
Message 5 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@bobriff1 

OK -- if you insist on doing this -- press the Esc key repeatedly while rebooting.  When the HP Startup Menu appears, choose the option to do the reset -- usually F11.  If that does not work, you would have to use external media to do the reset.

View solution in original post

bobriff1
Author
6 4 0 0
Message 6 of 6
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I got to thinking maybe a $20 USB wi-fi adapter might work. I'll take a shot at that first.  It does seem like a shame to brick a computer that's 99% in working order.  Thanks again for the advice! Marking this one "solved". 

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation