Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
15 R 152nf
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Capture.PNGHi,I come here tonight to ask if anyone knows how to fix my issue,that is I recently re-installed Windows seven on my HP 15 r152nf (energy star version) because anything more modern than seven would just be way too slow to use daily,i downloaded the graphics driver,wifi driver,but i can't connect to my wifi,it shows that my wifi card is installed and working (i used it in another laptop too,and i don't know if this is the original one,i'm doubtful,it's an Atheros AR9485) i also installed the Wireless assistant,but it does not show anything in the software (see attached picture).

P.S. that card would work with any other OS,i tried with Windows8.1,10,Ubuntu,and Lubuntu,it just doesn't work with seven.

Please,if anyone knows how to fix it,please,respond as quick as possible,i have to travel quite far away from home,and i will not have a wired connection where i'm going,only wifi,thank you and have a nice day /night !

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi:

I don't believe the HP wireless assistant software is supported in your notebook's model series.

I recommend you uninstall it and restart the PC.

You would need the HP connection manager software.

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp64501-65000/sp64815.exe

This would be the latest W7 wifi driver for the Atheros AR9485 wifi adapter...

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp70501-71000/sp70859.exe

I can't think of any reason why that model wifi card wouldn't work in your notebook but it is not the original one that came with it, that may be why.

It would have been one of these...

Ralink RT3290LE 802.11bgn 1x1 Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.0 Combo Adapter    690020-005
Realtek RT8723BE 802.11bgn 1x1 Wi-Fi + BT4.0 Combo Adapter                    753077-005
Realtek RTL8188EE 802.11bgn Wi-Fi Adapter                                                       709848-005

HP Recommended

thanks for replying sir,i know that this isn't the original card,but i don't have it unfortunately,i gave this laptop to my dad some time ago,and he gave it back to me,but he disassembled it,and i don't have any idea of where the original card is,so,i'm gonna try what you recommend,thank you very much !

HP Recommended

Hi,sorry for disturbing you againg,but I uninstalled hp wireless assistant and uninstalled the previous driver using the device manager,re-installed it,installed the hp connection manager software,It's Making progress,but it still does not work properly,i can only see the wired connection,that of course works (i am currently using it to write this replpy) ,here is what i see in the sofware (see attached picture )

Sorry for disturbing you once again,have a nice day !

EDIT : i forgot to say that i tried with two other cards : realtek RT5390,RT3090 and the only ones i haven't tried are an old Broadcom BCM94312MCG (wifi b/g) and an m.2 format Broadcom BCM943142Y,and none of the cards i tried didn't work (but windows installed the drivers by itself.

Capture2.PNG

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Your model must have what is known as a BIOS whitelist which prevents any wifi card not listed in the manual from working.

Of the 3 listed, I recommend you get the Realtek RT8723BE 802.11bgn 1x1 Wi-Fi + BT4.0 Combo Adapter

HP part # 753077-005

That model works with W7 - W10 and has bluetooth.  The Ralink card has bluetooth, but doesn't work with W10.

You can find the card on eBay in used but tested and working condition.  It should be inexpensive to buy.

Search by the HP part number, not the model of the wifi card.

https://www.ebay.fr/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=+753077-005&_sacat=0&_sop=2

HP Recommended

i'm sorry,but isn't really any way to get it working in seven ? it works good with any other os,so i'm not sure that it is due to a whitelist,and i can't really buy online right now,but thanks again

HP Recommended

OK, I get it now.

There isn't a whitelist then.

It is a block on W7 that prevents it from working.

There are probably some contacts on the card you have to mask to get it to work on W7 and I have no idea which ones they would be.

A similar issue happens with several models that don't come with W7 from HP.  See this discussion for example.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/wireless-button-radio-driver/m-p/6821...

This won't fix your issue because it is a different form factor card (M.2) and the pins are arranged differently.

What I would do if I were you, would be to give up and install a supported operating system where everything works.

HP Recommended

okay,thank you very much,i think i'm gonna install the stock windows 8.1 that came with it,thank you for taking your time trying to help me.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Sorry that I wasn't able to help you get the wifi to work on W7, but at least we now know what the issue is.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.