Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion x360 m3-u001dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

In order to improve wifi performance on my Pavilion x360 I replaced the wireless card. ( I was given suggestions with card replacement on this forum). What came with the notebook was a Intel dual band wireless-AC 3165. I replaced it with a Intel dual wireless-AC 7260 2x2. Performed speed test and no improvement noted after card replacement. I'm showing a max of about 130Mbps but my ISP's speed is 200Mbps. I have two other, older laptops who consistently are getting the 200+Mpbs when doing the speed tests so I know all my routers and AP's can handle that speed. 

My question:  What other devices of this Pavilion notebook could restrict the capability of getting the full speed? Could the new wireless (7260) not handle that speed either? Checked the driver for the new wireless card and it all looked current and updated. If anybody has any suggestions as to what is restricting the speed I would appreciate your input. 

Below are the spec's:

Product name:  HP Pavilion x360 m3 Convertible
Product number:  W2L17UA#ABA
Software build ID:  16WW2BNT602#SABA#DABA
Motherboard ID:  81A7
Feature byte:  3K5F6b7K7M7R7WaBapaqasauawbVbhbpbzcbdUdpdq.H4
OS version: ML
Service ID:  20170228
BIOS:  F.16-08/11/2016
Keyboard revision:  52.26
Total memory:  6.00 GB
Processor name:  Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-6100U CPU @ 2.30GHz

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Checked but they are different wireless cards. Not compatible. Great idea though. I did notice on the Intel website that there are updated drivers available for the Intel dual band wireless ac 7260 card. Downloaded it, tried to install but for some reason whenever i try to install, a box comes up "Windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date. Perhaps it is the card. I don't know. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

> What came with the notebook was a Intel dual band wireless-AC 3165.

> I replaced it with a Intel dual wireless-AC 7260 2x2.

> I have two other, older laptops who consistently are getting the 200+ Mpbs when doing the speed tests.

Can you temporarily put the "removed" wireless card into one of those two laptops, and rerun the speed-test, to see if the card is the bottle-neck?

HP Recommended

Checked but they are different wireless cards. Not compatible. Great idea though. I did notice on the Intel website that there are updated drivers available for the Intel dual band wireless ac 7260 card. Downloaded it, tried to install but for some reason whenever i try to install, a box comes up "Windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date. Perhaps it is the card. I don't know. 

HP Recommended

Are you connecting to 2.4 ghz band or 5 Ghz band? because no matter what you install as a card the 2.4 Ghz band will get you probably 130mbps at best. only way for speed increase is to go 5 Ghz band and the further away you get from a 5 ghz router the speed falls off fast because 5Ghz does not like solid objects or barriers between the router and device.

Also to get 2x2 speed you need two antenna installed, so be sure you have two antenna's connected to card. Otherwise you have 1x1 basically.

HP Recommended

Based on the HP manual for my notebook, I have two antennas. Someone here on the HP forum also confirmed it has two antennas. I don't know how to physically check that though? They are supposed to be on each cornere of he screen. As far as the 5Ghz goes, I'm pretty sure I'm on it. In the configuration part of the wireless card I selected "prefer 5Ghz".  The network poperties also state it's on 5Ghz and on channel 157. That all leads me to think it's on 5Ghz. As you mentioned about the two antennas,  I'm starting to think I only have one. That is starting to be the only explanation. I will keep searching...

HP Recommended

If you only have one then you only have 2.4 Ghz band not 5Ghz. But if you say you do connect to a 5Ghz connection then I would suspect that one of your antenna's may have a bad connection or not connected. I have seen this happen and about all you can do is send it in and have it determined if you have a bad wifi card or a poor connection. As I said, 5Ghz is notorious for short range anyway and any barriers can reduce signal quality fast. Best of luck

HP Recommended

Thank you. I appreciate your help. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.