Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion DV7-7000
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello All, I need to update my OS from W7 to W10. I already ran the update but while most items seemed to cleanly translate, my wireless network card (and Intel Centrino Wireless-N 2230) kicked the bucket. It wouldn't turn on regardless of what I did. I tried to find an appropriate drive to work with W10, but it doesn't seem to exist, I found all sorts of suggestions to try online from flushdns to messing with power management.  Nothing worked, at least that I could find, so I recovered my laptop back to W7.  I am now trying to find out who else has had this problem, and what the fix is before updating back to W10.  And honestly, I would prefer not to go to 10 as the little bit of time that I spent on it, I pretty much despised it.  That said, it seems to be a necessity at the moment so here I am.  Thanks for all help in advance. 

Edit:  I also should note that once I went back to W7 everything with my wireless card worked just fine. 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi:

There is no fix that I know of.

The 2230 used to work on the first couple of builds of W10, but it doesn't work on the newer ones.

Intel no longer supports it, so there are no newer drivers than the ones W10 automatically installs.

Some forum members have upgraded the 2230 wifi card to this model for the dv6/7-7000 notebooks.

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 802.11 ac 2x2 WiFi + BT 4.0      HP Part # 710661-001

The above card should work fine on W10.

The card is readily available on eBay or Amazon.

Search by the HP part number, not by the model number of the wireless card.

Or, you can purchase an external dual band USB wifi adapter that has support for W10.

Below is the link to the service manual, where you can find the wifi card removal and replacement procedure.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03221579

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.