Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 360x 12 GB RAM -- i7 processor.
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Updated remarks on 10/27/18:  

Problem:  Wifi would not stay connected.  It began to drop every two or three minutes.

Not completely solved but it is much better.  (I have seen it drop once in the last 24 hours, has been connected this time for 8 hours.)

Things to try with this issue...I don't know what order will work because I did them all several times. 

(1) MS Windows Article - Several things to do.  Do all of them.  Do these using the cmd prompt.  instructions.  I thought the Windows interface did the same thing, but I believe I got traction once I performed them exactly like this:

To run these networking commands in a command prompt window

1. In the search box on the taskbar, type Command prompt, press and hold (or right-click) Command prompt, and then select Run as administrator > Yes.
  2. At the command prompt, run the following commands in the listed order, and then check to see if that fixes your connection problem:
    • Type netsh winsock reset and press Enter.
    • Type netsh int ip reset and press Enter.
    • Type ipconfig /release and press Enter.
    • Type ipconfig /renew and press Enter.
    • Type ipconfig /flushdns and press Enter.

I just know that I saw the most improvement after doing all of these things in the list.  (Link)

Then, the HP Support Assistant seemed to help. 

(2) Use the HP Support assistant and do every troubleshooter. Several times. 

I saw some improvement after running this troubleshooter three times.  Finally, it offered me an update in firmware which was related.  After that, it updated my drivers for my network adapter, but there was still an update that HP wasn't aware of until after I went throught #3 the third time. (Link)

(3) Go to the website of your network adapter's manufacturer.  In my case, it was Intel.  Intel has a support assistant that identifies out of date drivers.  The first time I ran it, it didn't find anything to update.  The third time I ran it (after updating the firmware HP's support assistant identified in (2)) it said a driver needed to be updated.

STATUS:  My computer has not lost connection with my router for eight hours.

Posted on 10/21/18:

Since early Sept. 2018 my wifi connection has dropped repeatedly.

As referenced above, this is a HP ENVY 360X...it worked FINE on my Pixel Phone's hot spot.

It is a wifi issue.

Finally, this weekend I was able to put time into fixing it.

The only thing I have not done is open the computer and re-seat the hardware try upgrading the Realtek part I just read about if it has relavance to my issue.

I realize it isn't a brand new computer--3 yrs, I think, but it has not been moved or abused. It's been on my desk and never carried around. It is bull that the adapter isn't working suddently (mine and MANY others) but no one with HP authority on this site will admit that there's a driver or software problem.

Just tell me to suck it up. Don't describe it can be fixed.  I have wasted hours I won't get back. 

I have removed the driver and reinstalled it 4-5 times after reading the sincerely stated suggesstion to do it (several times) and it should get me fixed right up. This old Grandma keeps falling for it. I finally see all the complaints. My google skills must have slipped...GOOD GRIEF.

I went to Intel's website and downloaded the correct drivers and it worked for 8 hours, then broke again (yep, same day).  If you read the Events in your Event Viewer you'll see this over and over again: The network interface "Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260" has begun resetting.  There will be a momentary disruption in network connectivity while the hardware resets. Reason: The network driver requested that it be reset. This network interface has reset  257 time(s) since it was last initialized.

Afteter you try to update drivers, there is a lot of...

Device PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_08B1&SUBSYS_40708086&REV_C3\D8FC93FFFFEC6BE300 was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match.

And, if you log errors, you can even read more.

I have three more laptops that work fine.. One older --a Surface 3 Pro, a Lenovo Yoga that is a year newer, and my work HP laptop: all of which work just fine on my wifi...as does a visiting Surface 4 and a Mac Air laptop.

The other thing to note is that I have had to repeatedly uncheck the box allowing the computer to turn off the power to the wifi. Every time I restart, it weirdly reappears. Something isn't right there.

I will talked to my IT guy tomorrow about replacing the part asap. IBut first, I'm going to waste another hour on the the Realtek piece of the hardware update-fix I read here a bit ago.

I hate it when HP's troubleshooting materials about this issue won't say "Yep...don't waste your time...go to the movies or something. It's deader than a hammer...BROKEN!" But, rather the trouble shooters have one thousand things to try that feels like really busy work. It is CLEAR that there is a problem...but the suggestions I read here in the actual "TROUBLE SHOOTING" SECTIONS are never that the computer can't be fixed permanently.

The computer even says (after troubleshooting) that there's a problem, but then tells me it is all working fine.

Hook up the ethernet cable...turn it on...turn it on...etc.
What a annoyance. Just say it won't work unless you get a new adapter.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@cstx7,

Thank you for visiting the HP support forums. I have reviewed the post.

I will send you a private message to assist you with the next course of action. Check your forum private message box in the upper right corner next to the bell icon. 

Thanks and have a nice day.

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I don't understand why you can't discuss it right here where everyone else can see.

What am I missing here. I've no interest in giving out more information then you already have. 

HP Recommended

The problem is the newer Intel drivers, as many have pointed out.

Now to those remaining, take the steps that intel techs pointed out months ago, which involves:

* removing all intel network software from your 'add/remove applications"

* rolling back your driver version. This is done by going uninstall driver in device manager and choosing 'also remove software' tick box.

* Rescan again so it shows again, then repeat, and repeat, and repeat, till you get sick of repeating!

* Use CCleaner and clean your registry of any **bleep** leftover, use windows disk cleanup etc. (good practise)

* Rescan till nothing shows, restart, repeat.. (now they didn't tell you about this repeating! hehe)

* Most of those who are onto it, won't have to repeat so much, but if you have been stuffing around trying to fix this, then there is a lot of rubbish to clean.

* Reboot

* It will reinstall it, check the version, is it the MS version? We are looking for version: 17.15.0.5 or simular 17x version.

Now you check your wifi, and it should be mint.

Now to stop Windows Update reinstalling the **bleep**est driver from intel again, you can google this:

https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=how+to+stop+windows+10+installing+drivers&rlz=1C1CHBF_enNZ806NZ806...

To anyone still having disconnect issues with the ac-7260 module, please try falling back on the driver version. Doing so has worked for many, including myself.

You can get drivers from Microsoft (Update catalog) here: https://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=ac-7260 Try drivers prior to 18.33.x.x.

If it works for you, please leave a comment here so others will know.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.