cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
The HP Calculator Community Message Board is moving. While we prepare for the move, we are unable to accept new postings. During the move, you can look for help from other users by visiting https://www.hpmuseum.org/ . Or if you need technical support for your calculator visit: HP Calculators. .
Billr920
Level 2
15 9 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Intel WiFi6 Upgrade

HP Recommended
15m bp112dx Envy X360 I7 8th Gen
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi Everyone, I have a HP Envy X360 15m bp112dx with a 8th Gen I7.  Has anyone replaced the Intel 7265 card with the AX200. If so,, Did you have good results? I do now have a WIFI6 Router Mesh system which works great by the way.

Thanks

billr920

3 REPLIES 3
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
136,460 91,122 20,993 28,093
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

I can't find any related discussions where someone has upgraded the wifi card in that model series.

Probably because most folks are satisfied with the Intel 7265.

If you want to experiment, I recommend this part which you can find on eBay by searching by the HP part number.

Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 ax 2×2 + Bluetooth 5.0 MU-MIMO M.2 2230 non-vPro  HP part # L35282-005.

It must be a non-vPro card.

I can't guarantee it will work because there are still a few notebook model series out there that have BIOS whitelists which restrict what model wifi cards can be installed.

Below is the link to the service manual, where you can find the wifi card removal and replacement procedure.

HP ENVY x360 15m Convertible PC Maintenance and Service GuideIMPORTANT! This document is intended fo...

Be real careful when removing and replacing those thin and delicate antenna wires!

I broke off both terminals on my Intel 7265 AC card inside the antenna connectors while trying to remove the antenna wires to upgrade to the Intel 9260 AC in a different PC.

Took me a couple of hours with a jeweler's loupe, and various small tools/probes to dig the broken parts out of the antenna connectors.

Never again!

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Billr920
Author
Level 2
15 9 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank You,  I will use the links. You are correct, the 7265 is an awesome card. I save big files to the cloud (music production) and every little bit helps. I do have another brand LT that connects to my 6 router at 1.2 gbps but my goto has always been my HP Envy. It has been very reliable over the past 4 years. I did find the wifi card however is on the flip side of the system board which will require more than normal disassembly to access. Not a big deal, but delicate parts and time consuming. 

Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
136,460 91,122 20,993 28,093
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Please post back and let us know how your notebook's wifi card upgrade project went.

Here is a video for how HP suggests removing the wifi card from a notebook (not your model, but the antenna wires and form factor of the card are the same).   Yours will have two wires.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jd78uTVKAVo

I did not follow the procedure, and just used my fingers to remove the antenna wires, like I had done many times with the older HMC and mini-PCI wifi card form factors.  The antenna wires and connectors for those type cards are much bigger.

Learn how to remove and replace the wireless module for HP Notebook - 15-da0000, HP Notebook - 15-db0000, HP 250 and 255 G7 Notebook PCFor other helpful vide...
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation