JohnE8
2 1 0 0
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Internet hardware bottleneck

HP Recommended
HP - 15z V1V04AV
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My son's 4-yr-old HP-15z laptop maxes out at around 40 Mbps downloads on speed-test sites, and this is when it is plugged in directly to the Xfinity router.  Using wifi it's around 25 Mbps.  My other son's laptop, a few months old, gets over 300 Mbps on wifi on the same router.  I did see that the wifi adapter speed is 75 Mbps, but he was barely getting a third of that capacity on wifi.  I bought a 150 Mbps wireless 802.11n mini adapter and switched the wifi to use that, but it still tops out at around 40, same as when plugged into the router. 

Trying to figure out what to investigate as far as where the bottleneck might be and whether there may be driver updates or settings to investigate or where the hardware limitation might be.  Due to Covid-19 he's doing school online and getting choppy performance when connected to his classes on Google Meet. 

3 REPLIES 3
The_Fossette
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
29,155 29,140 1,953 2,593
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@JohnE8

I reviewed your post and I understand that you are getting less internet speed on the computer.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

Most of the time it is a hardware limitation. I recommend you install a dual-band wireless dongle (External) to the computer and check the internet connection speeds.

In case if you wish to upgrade the internal wireless card then refer to the below service guide for your computer (Page 4) and install a dual-band wireless card if supported on the computer.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05227786

I hope that answers your question and you have a great day!

P.S: Welcome to the HP Support Community 😊

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
JohnE8
Author
2 1 0 0
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for your response The_Fossette.  I did purchase a wireless dongle, although it is not dual-band but just 2.4 Ghz.  My son said it helped with the bad connections to his Google classroom as it did increase the speed from what it was before.

My main question though was which hardware component could be limiting the internet speed, even when plugged in directly to the router.  I confirmed that it was indeed using the ethernet adapter and not the wireless connection, but he still gets less than 40 Mbps on a router that is capable of at least over 300 Mbps.  I get close to 300 Mbps on my work desktop computer using ethernet, and my younger son gets about that as well on his newer laptop through wifi.  I'm hesitant to upgrade the internal wireless network card when the speed seems to be limited to 40 Mbps or less through ethernet and also through wifi using the 150 Mbps dongle.

0 Kudos
The_Fossette
HP Support Agent
HP Support Agent
29,155 29,140 1,953 2,593
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

@JohnE8

If you are facing issues with a wired connection as well then, I recommend you follow the below steps and check if it helps.

Try running these network commands to manually reset the TCP/IP stack, release and renew the IP address, and flush and reset the DNS client resolver cache:

1. In the search box on the taskbar, type Command prompt. The Command Prompt button will appear. To the right of it, select Run as administrator > Yes.
  2. At the command prompt, run the following commands in the listed order, and then check to see if that fixes your connection problem:
    • Type netsh winsock reset and select Enter.
    • Type netsh int ip reset and select Enter.
    • Type ipconfig /release and select Enter.
    • Type ipconfig /renew and select Enter.
    • Type ipconfig /flushdns and select Enter.

If you continue facing the issue, then follow the below steps.

Disable the Power Off option for the adapter:

1. Open Device Manager. (Win Key+R > type devmgmt.msc > OK)

2. Expand the Network adapters.

3. Right click on the Ethernet/Wireless Adapter and click Properties.

4. Click the Power Management tab.

5. Remove the check mark beside Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.

6. Click OK.

7. Test.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

Stay Home – Stay Safe

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

0 Kudos
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation