Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I'm looking to improve my laptops wifi reception so I can stream baseball games off of MLB TV without the constant buffering. The router and modem which I'm piggy backing off all the way in the front of the house is 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz compatible, but after looking through some related questions and answers on my specific laptops specs, I'm pretty sure I only have 2.4 GHz. I have an HP Pavilion DV 7-6b56nr notebook PC with a Ralink RT5390 802.11 b/g/n. If I buy a USB wireless dual band wifi adapter (like an ASUS USB-AC68 AC1900 Dual-band USB 3.0 WiFi Adapter) which accepts both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz, will that supersede my internal cards specifications? Meaning, if my internal Ralink is only 2.4 GHz, will the wifi adapter suddenly make my laptop accept 5 GHz? Or can I, and should I, even consider upgrading my Ralink interior card to 5 GHz? Will that make a bigger difference than an external USB Wireless Dual-band adapter? Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

Your notebook's Ralink RT5390 Wi-Fi adapter is a single band (2.4 GHz only) Wi-Fi adapter.

Yes, if you buy a dual band Wi-Fi adapter, it will work fine.

You just need to disconnect the Ralink Wi-Fi adapter from your wireless network and connect to your network using the USB Wi-Fi adapter.

Make sure you set the USB Wi-Fi adapter to automatically connect to your network.

HP Recommended

"Make sure you set the USB Wi-Fi adapter to automatically connect to your network."

How, please?

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi:

Please refer to this link...

How to Connect to Wireless Networks in Windows 7 - Digital Citizen

Then for the Ralink Wi-Fi adapter, uncheck the 'Connect Automatically' box.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.