Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 10 in S Mode

Bought a new HP laptop yesterday. Attempted to register it online using my PC. Keeps telling me invalid serial #. It's the # on the box sticker and the number on the bottom of the laptop. How do I register it if it won't let me use the correct info? Is there a chat or phone # for HP support? Even an email address would be helpful. TIA

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@lynxstch wrote:

Bought a new HP laptop yesterday. Attempted to register it online using my PC. Keeps telling me invalid serial #. It's the # on the box sticker and the number on the bottom of the laptop. How do I register it if it won't let me use the correct info? Is there a chat or phone # for HP support? Even an email address would be helpful. TIA

hi,

Do it Yourself, expand the notebook pc option.

There are instructions.

Product Registration guide 

But ,sometimes it happens due to dullness of print the print becomes difficult to read in that case 

Open 

1)Windows + r

2) type cmd

3) type wmic bios list full

under serial number you will find the serial number of your device. 

For HP Support, (my region is India , so you might want to change that or the website will automatically change it for you.)

HP Support 

NO Spoon-feeding. DIY, You and I can both learn. Mention Specs & model # of the device. Ask in community forums so that others can benefit as well. Did helped? If Yes, Smash the Like button. Did You find the post informative click ACCEPT AS SOLUTION.
HP Recommended

Can I register it on my pc or do I have to do it from the laptop itself?  Thanks

HP Recommended

Registration is done via your HP account. ( can be done by mobile , pc, laptop .)

a webpage is opened and you just enter the details or you can contact the HP support via phone or email or chat window.

The information i provided is to cross check the serial number in case its grayed out or there is discrepancies.

NO Spoon-feeding. DIY, You and I can both learn. Mention Specs & model # of the device. Ask in community forums so that others can benefit as well. Did helped? If Yes, Smash the Like button. Did You find the post informative click ACCEPT AS SOLUTION.
HP Recommended

I appreciate the help, but there is no option for phone, email, or chat, at least not that I can find. If you can find them would you be kind enough to send me a link? I attempted again to register it, only to get a message that the service is not available, please try again later. I have the laptop charging now before I attempt to start it up. At this point, I'm just about ready to return it if I can't register it. I've never had anything but HP products and I've never encountered the issue of not being able to register it. If there was a mail in registration card, I would even use that, but there's nothing 😞

Thank you again for any help you can provide.

HP Recommended

By the way, the serial # is perfectly clear on the box and on the laptop. The only thing that's different on the box sticker is the productt #, I used the one on the bottom of the laptop, 

HP Recommended

update:  I TYPED THE SN INCORRECTLY.  IT WORKED PERFECTLY. I have a slightly different registration issue.  I purchased 2 PCs/Laptops and want to put both registrations in my account.  How can I add the 2nd laptop to my account without that laptop in hand? On my 1st laptop, I tried to "add a device" from my online account using the 2nd laptop's sn but it didn't work.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.