Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15-cw0598sa
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am trying to get laptop to use LAN when ethernet cable is connected.  It works some of the time, which is the frustrating bit: there seems to be no particular reason why it would work some times and not others.  I have tried using third party Wireless Autoswitch - this worked first time, then stopped.  Laptop just connects to wireless regardless.  I can't find LAN/WLAN switching in BIOS. Any help, please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I guess that only the HP business-class notebooks that have the LAN/WLAN switching setting option in the BIOS have that service in the windows control panel.

Unfortunately, I don't have any other suggestions for you to try.

I don't know of any HP consumer class notebooks that have the LAN/WLAN switching setting in the BIOS, so I would have to conclude that what you want to do is not possible.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

Since I don't have your model notebook, and don't know what Windows services are running....see if you can find something like this...

Go to the Windows control panel>system & security>administrative tools> services.

Stop the "HP LAN/WLAN/WWAN Switching UWP Service" and change the startup to manual.

Now both the WIFI and ETHERNET should work at the same time.

That would be the only suggestion I can offer.

HP Recommended

Thank you very much.

I have followed that route but nothing like HP LAN/WLAN/WWAN Switching UWP Service listed.  Could it be called something else?  I found "WLAN config" and "Wired config" and started those , stopped "Wireless Autoswitch" (as not working anyway) - doesn't seem to have made a difference.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I guess that only the HP business-class notebooks that have the LAN/WLAN switching setting option in the BIOS have that service in the windows control panel.

Unfortunately, I don't have any other suggestions for you to try.

I don't know of any HP consumer class notebooks that have the LAN/WLAN switching setting in the BIOS, so I would have to conclude that what you want to do is not possible.

HP Recommended

Oh well, thank you anyway for your advice.  It seems to work intermittently, which is the most annoying thing: you would think it would just never work if not in the system somewhere.

I'm with a small charity / non-for-profit so our equipment is not of the highest spec!  

I am grateful for your time.

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

There is one last ditch effort you can try and that would be to uncheck the box that allows Windows to turn off this device to save power box for the ethernet adapter (in the advanced settings in the device manager) if you have not done so already.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.