Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hi, 
     I'm having an issue with my HP laptop Product # A9Q25AV  - One day I got on to play an online game and  my computer would not recognize my ethernet cable. I went to device manager to see if there was an issue and I only found my wireless driver. I went to the HP website to download all the Network drivers and it never shows up on device manager after installation and still does not recognizee my ethernet cable. Please Help!
                                                                                                 Thanks

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Usually there is a light that comes on when I plug my ethernet cable into my laptop but it won't trigger the light either. I have plugged the router up to a different computer and my Xbox and it works that way. But once I plug it into my laptop, there is nothing. The WiFi will pick up just fine, I would just rather have an ethernet connection. 

1. What is the Product Number? A9Q25AV

2. What O/S is installed? If need be. Windows 7

3. Which Wifi Device Hardware is installed? If need be. (In device manager) - Ralink RT5390R Wi-Fi Adapter *Listed under Network Adapters

4. Give Much Details as to the problem if possible. Stated above. 

HP Recommended

Any other suggestions? Much help needed. 

HP Recommended

@jsteele5 wrote:

Usually there is a light that comes on when I plug my ethernet cable into my laptop but it won't trigger the light either. I have plugged the router up to a different computer and my Xbox and it works that way. But once I plug it into my laptop, there is nothing. The WiFi will pick up just fine, I would just rather have an ethernet connection. 

Hi Good day!

In relation to your issue, you have mentioned that you have already re-installed your network drivers moreover the wireless on your notebook is able to connect perfectly fine. Lastly if I got you correctly the ethernet you're using on this computer is the same ethernet you use for your xbox and its able to connect. 

Considering your input, it is most likely that the adapter for your LAN/Ethernet is disabled. 

How to fix the issue?

1. Disable wireless by pressing F12 key on your keyboard.

2. Go to Network and Sharing Center and choose change adapter settings (located on the left part of the window)

3. From there you will see your LAN/Ethernet Adapter and Wireless Adapter

4. Right click on wireless adapter and choose disable on the selection

5. Thereafter check Lan Adapter and make sure it's enabled

Note: If your ISP is using Cable Technology (ex. Comcast, TWC etc.) You might need to do the "Sequential Powercycling"

How to do Sequential Powercycling?

1. Turn off your Modem by unplugging the power cord together with your router (if there is any)

2. Shut down your computer totally 

3. Wait for one full minute, thereafter turn on only the Modem and wait for the Online light to be solid green

4. As soon as the online light on your Modem is light up, turn on your router (if there's any)

5. After 1 minute turn on your computer and from there it should be able to connect.

I hope this fixes the problem your having, otherwise reply with the result 

of the troubleshooting I provided so I can do you a follow up!

Have a great day!

Regards,

Marc

HP Recommended

When I go into the Adapter Settings, the only thing listed is my wireless network. Nothing else will show. Also tried the power cycle and it still will not recognize the ethernet cable.. Thank you for the suggestions though.

HP Recommended

Product Name - HP Pavilion DV4 Notebook
Product # - A9Q25AV
Serial # - 4CN23205NL

Laptop is about 1 - 1 1/2 years old. Still running windows 7. Never had this issue before. I took my laptop over to my friend's house and tried to plug in his ethernet and it's the same issue.

HP Recommended

Oh I see, if that's the case there is high probability that you're built in NIC (network interface card) is no longer working however you mentioned you can connect to wifi fine so your WNIC (wireless network interface card) is still good. Here's the last thing to do to isolate the problem before we conclude. We're gonna see if it's just a driver issue, kindly reply me with the following information:

Current Operating System:

Product Number:

*You can see both of this information on your computer by just simply pressing "FN" key + "Esc" simultaneously

Thank you for your input, looking forward to hearing from you soon!

Regards,

Marc

HP Recommended

Product name:HP 15 Notebook PC
Product number:J9H15UA#ABL
Serial number: ( Removed Content )
BIOS:F.13-08/29/2014
Keyboard revision:99.0B
Total memory:6.00 GB
Processor name:AMD A6-5200 APU with Radeon(TM) HD Graphics

plz help

HP Recommended
Mine tooo please help me man!
HP Recommended

Did you manage to solve this problem? I am getting same issue (no lights on ethernet cable and laptop doesn't think cable is plugged in).

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.