Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I would like to connect the HP ENVY to my HP Pavilion Dv7. Thy are both on the same wi-fi. I have tried numeruos methods published on search platforms, and all failed.  There has to be an easy way to connect two laptops from the same manufacturer.  I appreciate your help.

Tom

[Personal Information Removed]

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi, your devices must be set up to be seen by the whole network. I’m sure you have been told that already.

It depends on if your running window or not but windows 11 makes it easy. Regards Al

HP Recommended

Thanks Al. 

Both devices show the laptops but I cannot access the directories. When I click or double click on the device on either devices, the right side screens fail to show the files or contents.

Thank you for your time

HP Recommended

Hi pony57, there’s a YouTube video that shows a fella clicking on a drive, going into properties, sharing and advanced sharing. Then going to his other computer, network, clicking on previous computer and opening a load of photos. It really looked simple after doing all the sharing on the first computer. Regards Al

HP Recommended

Hi Al, could you send me the link?  I appreciate it.

HP Recommended

I was searching for myself not long ago. I think I searched Google for getting directories from another computer, first link in search. You left click on the drive you want to access, click properties, click on sharing, click on advanced sharing at the bottom. When you have done that you open 2nd computer, click on network, 

locate the 1st pc click on drive you want to access, click on what you want to open. I don’t think I’ve forgotten anything. Check YouTube first to be sure. Regards Al

HP Recommended

I’ve just looked again that search is correct. Al

HP Recommended

Yes, I understand but I don't have the $$ needs right now to upgrade as for both laptops. When the first upgrade was atrempted the procss could not be completed because of other regular autodownloaded updates that might have compromised the system, so both laptops won't upgrade, without $$ spent.  I just thought that was an easier way to do this. 

HP Recommended

Hi Pony57. I found a software program, free. It’s called share anywhere. You download it onto both computers, drop a file into the open program, it then gives you a code. Open the program on the second computer put in the code and your file will be there, drag it to your screen. Done. Regards Al.

HP Recommended

Sorry, that’s send anywhere. Al.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.