Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Probook 650 G5
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I bought my laptop with all of the bits for WWAN, and it came with a loose SIM card, but there is no SIM card socket on this model.  Location for SIM socket on G4 is now filled with microSD socket on G5.  I thought it might use eSIM, but I can't make that work.  If I turn on cellular, message is "insert SIM."  Has anyone had any success getting LTE to work on Probook 650 G5?  

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@DougLipp 

It does not have SIM slot. Which ever your WWAN on your machine is, you should be able to use eSIM because on page 4 of the manual says

WWAN cards are compatible with a programmable removable eSIM

Please check your provider and ask them how to set it up.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the quick response, but I'm still having problems.  Would you mind providing a link to the manual with that call-out? Is it for a Probook 650 G5?  None of the manuals for that model that I've been able to find have any reference to eSIM.

From everything I've read, if eSIM is supported on an hp computer, there should be a selection on the Cellular settings page for "Manage eSIM profiles," and that is not present on my machine.  One HP support document says that the presence of that selection is how you know your computer supports eSIMs, and I definitely don't have it.  I could contact Verizon, but there's nothing available for them to set up, not without the Manage eSIM profiles function.

I suspect there is some magical driver that I need and haven't been able to find.  I'm hoping someone else has run into this specific problem and has a verified solution.  Do you have any other ideas that might help?

HP Recommended

@DougLipp 

Please use the following guide to setup

https://support.hp.com/au-en/document/c05622868

Note:   If a Manage eSIM profiles link is found near the bottom of the page then your PC has an eSIM.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

My computer does NOT have the "Manage eSIM profiles" link, implying it does not support eSIMs.  At the same time, it does not have a physical SIM socket, and it was advertised as supporting LTE WWAN networks..  I really appreciate your efforts, but I'd most like to hear from someone else who bought this model and was able to make it work.  Or was able to get HP to admit it doesn't support WWAN connections.

All of the hardware is present, including the Intel XMM 7360 LTE-A radio and the display with WWAN antennas.  The 7360 supports eSIM profiles.  It really seems like there is a software piece missing, but I have the latest version of Windows installed (2004), and HP Support Assistant says I am up-to-date with all drivers.  Overall, I've installed almost no other software on this machine.  Just Macrium Reflect back-up software (and it wasn't working before I did that).

Doug Lippincott

HP Recommended

I just did a complete reset on Windows.  Absolutely no software has been added at this point.  No changes in setting.  Went through the whole out-of-box-experience, then installed all Windows Updates, and all HP updates (including XMM driver). It's still telling me to insert SIM, and there is no manage profiles link on the Cellular page in settings. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.