Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook 15 AB522TX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

Model: HP Notebook 15 AB522TX

Product No.: T0Z73PA#ACJ

I have a Broadcom BCM43142 802.11 bgn WiFi M.2 Card installed on my Notebook. As it is an old card it only allows me to connect to 2.4GHz band on my internet router. So I want to upgrade the Wifi Card on my Laptop to support 5GHz. So can you please suggest the potential spare replacement that will be compatible with my laptop.

Thanks. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

I believe that there is only one wifi antenna wire connected to the Broadcom wifi card your notebook has.

You may want to open it up and check.  If there are two antenna wires connected to the card, then you can install the Intel 7265 wifi card with the HP part number listed in chapter 3 of the service manual.

If I am right, and there is only one antenna wire...

Then there is one model wifi card you can upgrade to and that is this one...

Realtek RTL8821CE 802.11 ac 1x1 WiFi + Bluetooth 4.2 Combo Adapter (MU-MIMO supported) HP part # L17365-005.

You can find this model on eBay, or Ali Express. 

I see some Intel 3165 cards listed on the eBay listings, so don't buy those.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=L17365-005&_sacat=0&_sop=15

RTL8821CE - Buy RTL8821CE with free shipping on AliExpress

On the Ali Express listings, make sure the card has the HP Part # of 915620-001.

Below is the link to the service manual, where you can find the wifi card removal and replacement procedure...

HP Pavilion Notebook (Intel)Star WarsTM Special Edition Notebook Maintenance and Service Guide

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi:

I believe that there is only one wifi antenna wire connected to the Broadcom wifi card your notebook has.

You may want to open it up and check.  If there are two antenna wires connected to the card, then you can install the Intel 7265 wifi card with the HP part number listed in chapter 3 of the service manual.

If I am right, and there is only one antenna wire...

Then there is one model wifi card you can upgrade to and that is this one...

Realtek RTL8821CE 802.11 ac 1x1 WiFi + Bluetooth 4.2 Combo Adapter (MU-MIMO supported) HP part # L17365-005.

You can find this model on eBay, or Ali Express. 

I see some Intel 3165 cards listed on the eBay listings, so don't buy those.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=L17365-005&_sacat=0&_sop=15

RTL8821CE - Buy RTL8821CE with free shipping on AliExpress

On the Ali Express listings, make sure the card has the HP Part # of 915620-001.

Below is the link to the service manual, where you can find the wifi card removal and replacement procedure...

HP Pavilion Notebook (Intel)Star WarsTM Special Edition Notebook Maintenance and Service Guide

HP Recommended

Hi Paul, 

I checked my current configuration. The laptop seems to have just 1 antenna.

Thanks,

Cliff M

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

Why won't you suggest the Intel 3165? It also seems to have 1 Antenna config. Thanks

HP Recommended

Hi:

The Intel 3165 requires two antenna wires be connected to it in order for the Bluetooth to work.

The RTL8821CE is the only dual band AC wifi card that will work in your PC where both the wifi and bluetooth will work with just the one antenna wire.

If you want to install the 3165AC and do without bluetooth, that would be fine.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.