cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
The HP Calculator Community Message Board is moving. While we prepare for the move, we are unable to accept new postings. During the move, you can look for help from other users by visiting https://www.hpmuseum.org/ . Or if you need technical support for your calculator visit: HP Calculators. .
Robinoz
Level 1
4 2 0 2
Message 1 of 4
Flag Post

Solved!

Network adapter will not connect to 5G wifi

HP Recommended
HP Notebook 15s-fq1053tu
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This new computer is fitted with a Realtek Network adapter (802.11b/g/n) that picks up my ISP's 2g Wifi connection but will not pick up the 5g connection.

It seems that the network adapter is not up to the task and I wonder if there is an updated driver for it or whether I should have it replaced. I've tried numerous solutions to get it to connect, but have been unsuccessful.

Any help appreciated.

Robinoz - Living the Dream in the Barossa Valley
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
136,428 91,090 20,988 28,081
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

That model wifi adapter is a single band card only.

You can replace the card with this model if you want dual band AC...

Realtek RTL8821CE 802.11 ac 1x1 WiFi + Bluetooth 4.2 Combo Adapter (MU-MIMO supported) HP part # L17365-005.

You can find this model on eBay, or Ali Express,

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=L17365-005&_sacat=0&_sop=15

The card will have the same 72 MBPS throughput as the RTL8723BE on the 2.4 GHz wifi band, but on the 5.0 GHz wifi band, it will have a max throughput of 433 MBPS when you have an AC router with an excellent wifi signal strength.

View solution in original post

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
3 REPLIES 3
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
Message 2 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

That model wifi adapter is a single band card only.

You can replace the card with this model if you want dual band AC...

Realtek RTL8821CE 802.11 ac 1x1 WiFi + Bluetooth 4.2 Combo Adapter (MU-MIMO supported) HP part # L17365-005.

You can find this model on eBay, or Ali Express,

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=L17365-005&_sacat=0&_sop=15

The card will have the same 72 MBPS throughput as the RTL8723BE on the 2.4 GHz wifi band, but on the 5.0 GHz wifi band, it will have a max throughput of 433 MBPS when you have an AC router with an excellent wifi signal strength.

View solution in original post

Robinoz
Author
Level 1
4 2 0 2
Message 3 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you for your prompt and detailed answer Paul.

I bought an ASUS laptop for my wife at the same time as I bought my HP and perhaps should have simply bought two ASUS products which were slightly cheaper, but have a touch screen and a better Network adapter. I didn't think I needed a touch screen. Such is life.

I'll go buy a new adapter.

Robinoz - Living the Dream in the Barossa Valley
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
Message 4 of 4
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Yes, I find it hard to believe that HP is still installing single band wireless N adapters in notebooks. when we are now onto AC and AX dual band wifi speeds.

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation