Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP - 17-an012dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When running a network speed test on my shiny fancy HP laptop it is half the speed of my 10 year old Acer Aspire 5334.

Also, when using inSSIDer on my HP I'm getting a rate of 185 ( mbits/sec I presume ) while inSSIDer on the old Acer is showing 600.

Obviously the HP should outperform the Acer or at lease equal it. HP Assist shows no problems and the Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 drivers are apparently up to date.

Can anyone suggest why my HP wireless network seems to be under performing please?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@Ken_TX-44 wrote:

When running a network speed test on my shiny fancy HP laptop it is half the speed of my 10 year old Acer Aspire 5334...

@Ken_TX-44 

How do you run Speed test ? All machines using SAME SSID should have similar results, it does not matter which wireless card on your machine. I ran 3 tests on 3 notebooks in front of me right now (I pay 50/20 for Upload/Download)

The HP Elitebook 840 G5 using Intel AC 8265  (this machine is 4 months old)

speed test HP 1.png

The HP Omen 15- dc0071tx using Intel AC 9560 (this machine is 14 months old)

speed test HP 2.png  

The Dell E4310  using DW1501 Wireless-N (this machine is 7 or 8 years old)

speed test Dell.png

As you can see, they are very close.

Back to your question, you can see my HP Omen wifi card is double speed (1.73Gbps vs 867Mbps) of your HP Omen wifi card as shown on Paul's table

https://ark.intel.com/content/www/us/en/ark/compare.html?productIds=99446,83635

In short, the wifi card on your machine is slow by designed. You should be able to change to Intel AC 9560 adapter.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Accept as solution

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.