Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion dv6-6108us Entertainment Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I am able to get on the internet, but am unable to print. My internet connection on the toolbar shows a red x.  I check the status and it shows that I have IPv4 connectivity but do not have IPv6 connectivity.  How do I reinstate the IPv6 connectivity?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@MikeB1009

Hello;

Allow me to welcome you to the HP forums!

You don't need IPV6 connectivity -- as I have an HP DV6 and network print to an HP printer with IPV4 connectivity just fine.

As a matter of fact, IPV6 is know to cause problems, so disabling it on your PC might actually work better.

I am a volunteer and I do not work for, nor represent, HP
HP Recommended

Thanks for your response.  So what can I do to be able to print from my computer.  I was always able to print by since the IPv6 Connectivity went away I haven't been able to and now I have the red X for my internet connection, when I used to have the bars.

HP Recommended

Starting from what you said that you have connectivity but the connection icon shows a red X makes me ask if you also have a wired connection to the Internet?

The red X often comes from either the WiFi being disabled via the WiFi button or the adapter being disabled from the Device Manager settings.

If you open the Network and Sharing Center  you should be able to see which adapter is used for the Internet connection and it will let you also create a new WiFi connection if needed and troubleshoot etc.

You did not say anything about your printer model or the way it is connected to the network so it it would be just guessing at this point. Most networked printers should work just fine with IPv4 either via WiFi or wired Ethernet connection as long as they are on the same physical LAN with the client computer.

As it comes to IPv6, the use is still only emerging even if the standards have been around for quite a while. IPv4 should be ok for any service that you currently need.

People are using their precious remaining lifetime to try and help, so it is common courtesy to come back and tell what the solution eventually was even if you found it elsewhere. It is for the benefit of everyone.
HP Recommended

Thank you for writing back.  I am using a wireless connection to access the internet. I have a wireless HP Printer, which up until last week I was always able to use to print wirelessly, but something happened and now I have the red X on the internet connection as I mentioned earlier and now I can't print like I used to.

HP Recommended

It would be helpful if you would give as much information as possible right from the start.

So you are saying that you know for sure that you have had the network connection via IPv6 as well?

What results did you get from running the Troubleshooter in in the Network and Sharing Center?

Have you done any updates (Windows or other)   to the system that may have caused the problem to appear?

Is the printer working from other devices? Have you tried a restart?

Have you tried adding the printer again to your computer?

And still it would be good to know the exact printer model as there probably is someone on the forum that can help with the different tricks if any for a specific model.

People are using their precious remaining lifetime to try and help, so it is common courtesy to come back and tell what the solution eventually was even if you found it elsewhere. It is for the benefit of everyone.
HP Recommended

Thank you for help and suggestions. I went ahead and reinstalled the printer and now I am able to print, so my problem has been solved.  Thanks!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.