Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP EliteBook 840 G2 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

In order to bypass censorship restrictions in my country, I started using the Outline VPN server. I noticed that on all devices VPN the Outline client works fine, except for my old HP laptop.

Below are the regular routes in my system:

2022-07-05 21_01_28-NetRouteView.png

I run the Outline VPN client, and get the following error:

2022-07-05 21_01_57-Outline.jpg

Sorry, an unexpected error occurred. Quitting and restarting may help. If this happens again, please submit feedback.

Then all the routes in the system disappear:

2022-07-05 21_02_04-NetRouteView.jpg

I cannot connect to my VPN server. I have to reboot my computer to restore routes.

Device specifications:

Spoiler
Device name DESKTOP-TI65H0G
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5600U CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.60 GHz
Installed RAM 16.0 GB (15.9 GB usable)
Device ID 524EBA5E-2D32-4653-9019-CE3950BFAF19
Product ID 00326-10000-00000-AA360
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display

Windows specifications:

Spoiler
Edition Windows 10 Home
Version 21H2
Installed on ‎8/‎8/‎2021
OS build 19044.1889
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4180.0

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Eventually I was able to find the solution. I reinstalled Windows from a flash drive, and initially the Outline worked. But after Windows Update installed the latest patches, it stopped working again! So I thought that Microsoft created a security update that conflicts with my VPN client. It has happened many times.

I reinstalled Windows again, and started to install updates one by one, trying to find the bad one. I was wrong, the bad update was a driver from HP: HP LAN/WLAN/WWAN Switching and Hotkey Service.

Spoiler
Class: Extension
Hardware ID: acpi\hpq8002
Manufacturer: HP Inc.
Model: HP LAN/WLAN/WWAN Switching and Hotkey Service
Provider: HP Development Company, L.P.
Date: 5/13/2019
Update ID: c7927cc7-c99b-431d-af5b-b17a2a16b1d8

I masked this driver with Microsoft's wushowhide utility, and now I can use my Outline VPN client and my laptop has installed all other Windows updates.

Download wushowhide - MajorGeeks

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Eventually I was able to find the solution. I reinstalled Windows from a flash drive, and initially the Outline worked. But after Windows Update installed the latest patches, it stopped working again! So I thought that Microsoft created a security update that conflicts with my VPN client. It has happened many times.

I reinstalled Windows again, and started to install updates one by one, trying to find the bad one. I was wrong, the bad update was a driver from HP: HP LAN/WLAN/WWAN Switching and Hotkey Service.

Spoiler
Class: Extension
Hardware ID: acpi\hpq8002
Manufacturer: HP Inc.
Model: HP LAN/WLAN/WWAN Switching and Hotkey Service
Provider: HP Development Company, L.P.
Date: 5/13/2019
Update ID: c7927cc7-c99b-431d-af5b-b17a2a16b1d8

I masked this driver with Microsoft's wushowhide utility, and now I can use my Outline VPN client and my laptop has installed all other Windows updates.

Download wushowhide - MajorGeeks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.