cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
The HP Calculator Community Message Board is moving. While we prepare for the move, we are unable to accept new postings. During the move, you can look for help from other users by visiting https://www.hpmuseum.org/ . Or if you need technical support for your calculator visit: HP Calculators. .
blt_sandwich
1 0 0 0
Message 1 of 2
Flag Post

Pavilion 15-n206sa Wireless Module

HP Recommended
Pavilion 15-n206sa
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Ok, so I have an old laptop, and it runs on the WiFi at 2.4GHz. I want to migrate to 5GHz as much as possible, so I want some info, as I can't find it myself.

Is there a wireless module I can replace mine with that runs 5GHz, and mine currently only support 802.11b/g/n, which is all 2.4GHz.

Any help would be appreciated.

The model is Pavilion 15-n206sa.

1 REPLY 1
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
138,225 87,415 21,348 27,336
Message 2 of 2
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

Since your notebook has a Pentium processor, it may be tricky.

I seem to recall a long time ago recommending an Intel 7260 AC wifi adapter for a similar model notebook with a Pentium processor, and the card showed up in the device manager, and the drivers installed, but the card would not work for love or money. It was as if the wireless radio was turned off.   That happens on several different desktop and notebook PC's.

If your notebook had an Intel core processor, the 7260 AC card would have worked fine in the 15-n models with two antenna wires connected to the wifi card.  I have recommended that card to several forum members.

So...If there are two wifi antenna cables connected to the wifi card your notebook has installed, chapter 3, page 23 of the service manual indicates there is one dual band N card you can upgrade to...

Intel Wireless-N 7260BN 802.11 bgn 2x2 Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 4.0 combo adaptor for use with computer models with Intel processors, not supported on Ubuntu Linux  HP part # 717384-001.

That card would have a maximum throughput of 300 MBPS on the 5.0 GHz wifi band.

HP does not indicate specific Intel processors the above card works with, so my assumption is that it would work with any Intel processor.

You also may be able to upgrade to either of these dual band Broadcom wifi cards not listed in the manual.

It would be an experiment, but I have found that the Broadcom cards usually work in many situations.

However, I cannot guarantee success.

Dual band N:  Max 300 MBPS on the 5.0 GHz wifi band.

Broadcom BCM943228HMB 802.11abgn 2×2 Wi-Fi Adapter, Broadcom Bluetooth 4.0 Adapter   HP part # 730668-001

Dual band AC:  Max 867 MBPS on the 5.0 GHz wifi band.

Broadcom BCM4352 802.11ac 2x2 Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 4.0 combo HP part #  724935-001

You should be able to find the above wifi 3 cards on eBay.   Search by the HP part number, not the model of the wifi card.

Below is the link to the service manual, where you can find the wifi card removal and replacement procedure.

It is pretty easy to get to where the wifi card is on your notebook.

c04438537 (hp.com)

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation