Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I've got Windows 10 and am trying to setup a new HP printer.  The WiFi info box says I'm connected.

Directly underneath it says the HP=Setup M209 LaserJet No internet, open.  What does that mean?

My internet is working fine.  What should I do?  Please advise.  Thank you.

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

HI @Ming6,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

When setting up a new HP printer on Windows 10, the message "HP=Setup M209 LaserJet No internet, open" typically indicates that the printer is broadcasting a setup network. This is common with HP printers during the initial setup phase where the printer creates a temporary WiFi network (SSID) that your computer can connect to for configuration purposes.

Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you complete the setup:

Step 1: Connect to the Printer's Setup Network

1. Ensure your computer is connected to the HP-Setup WiFi: Look for the SSID that resembles "HP-Setup M209 LaserJet" in your WiFi network list and connect to it. It’s expected to show "No internet" because it’s a direct connection to the printer, not the internet.

Step 2: Open the HP Smart App or Printer Software

1. Download and install the HP Smart app if you haven’t already:
    • Go to the HP Smart App website and download the app for Windows.
    • Install and open the HP Smart app on your computer.

Step 3: Follow the Setup Instructions

1. Follow the instructions in the HP Smart app:
    • The app should detect the printer and guide you through the setup process.
    • During the setup, you will be prompted to connect the printer to your home WiFi network.

Step 4: Connect the Printer to Your Home WiFi

1. Enter your home WiFi credentials:
    • The HP Smart app will ask for your WiFi network name (SSID) and password. Enter this information to connect the printer to your home WiFi network.

Step 5: Finalize the Setup

1. Complete the setup process:
    • Once the printer is connected to your home WiFi, your computer should automatically switch back to your home WiFi network.
    • The HP Smart app will complete the setup, and you should be able to print a test page.

Troubleshooting Tips

• Ensure proximity: Make sure your printer and computer are close to your WiFi router during the setup process.
  • Reset WiFi settings on the printer: If you encounter issues, you might need to reset the WiFi settings on the printer. This can usually be done by holding down the Wireless button on the printer until it starts blinking.
  • Update printer firmware: Sometimes, updating the printer's firmware can resolve connectivity issues. You can check for firmware updates through the HP Smart app.

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please mark this post as “Accepted Solution” if the issue is resolved and if you feel this reply was helpful click “Yes”.

Rachel571

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.