Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion g6 Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

When I switched on my notebook last night I couldn't access the network via my wireless connection which has been working perfectly. The Wireless light is showing white on the keyboard on key f12 however and when I check devices in the settings it advises that the Ralink RT5390 Wifi Adaptor is working properly but is disabled. When I try to enable it there is an icon which says that it is enabling and then enabled, however it never completes this process and always shows disabled at the end. How do I enable the wifi properly?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@BillW48

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips, 

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂 

As I understand there was a problem enabling WIFI adapter on your HP Pavilion g6,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Did you have any virus infections, have you performed an anti-virus scan?

While you respond to that, Please go through the below steps:

1. Power Cycle Devices – As we always suggest, before you will go for any further steps, first you should try to reboot your devices, so you should try to reboot your wireless router, and computer and then try to connect with wifi, if you are not able to connect to wifi, then you may follow the steps bellow.
  2. Turn On Wifi- every laptop or computer has a button to turn the wireless on or off. So you should try to turn on the wifi button by pressing the button.

Advance steps for Troubleshooting Wifi not working on windows 10 pc:

1. Enable Wireless Adapter- most of the time, we have wifi not working on windows 10 issue, just because we had disabled the wireless adapter by mistake, so you should make sure that wireless apapter is not turned off. You may follow these instructions to enable the wireless adapter.Open run box,Type ncpa.cpl and click on ok.Right click on wireless adapter and click on enable.Finally wifi adapter will be enable , so you can go ahead and try to connect with wifi now.
  2. Wi-fi driver is outdated: when you have an old computer, the wifi issue could be generated on laptop, just because of drivers are outdated, so you should try to update the driver. For updating the drivers, you may go ahead and follow these instructions :Open run box (press windows + R key).Type devmgmt.msc in the run box and click on ok.Click on network adapters,Now right click on your wireless adapter, and click on update driver.Finally you need to follow the instructions and your driver will be updated.
  3. Turn on wifi from settings- many times; we have encountered windows 10 won’t connect to wifi issue, just because of one silly mistake. That we make, but we do not realize, which is, we turn off the wifi from settings.
    so you should go to settings, and try to turn on the wifi settings from there. You may try these instructions to turn on the wifi. For more information you may follow, how to turn on wifi on windows 10 pc.
  4. Enable wireless service- if your windows wireless services are stopped from services.msc then it may cause wifi issue for laptop, so you should try to restart the wireless services, to restart the wireless services, you may follow these instructions :Open run box,Type services.msc and click on okScroll down and choose WLAN settings,If wlan service is stopped, then you need to click on start, if it is showing start, then you need to click on restart.
  5. Install Latest Driver- if you have tried to follow these steps, but somehow still, wifi not working on windows 10 laptop, then you should try to uninstall the wireless driver from your computer and reinstall the latest driver for your computer. for more information you may visit : how to install driver in windows computer-
  6. Default restore windows- a wifi issue on windows laptop , can generate because of bad update on windows pc as well. so you should try to restore your computer to the back date. when it was working fine. read more about system restore.

If the issue persists, Click here to find and install the wireless drivers on the HP website.

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

That'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@BillW48

Welcome to HP Forums, 

This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips, 

Thank you for posting your query, I'll be more than glad to help you out 🙂 

As I understand there was a problem enabling WIFI adapter on your HP Pavilion g6,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Did you have any virus infections, have you performed an anti-virus scan?

While you respond to that, Please go through the below steps:

1. Power Cycle Devices – As we always suggest, before you will go for any further steps, first you should try to reboot your devices, so you should try to reboot your wireless router, and computer and then try to connect with wifi, if you are not able to connect to wifi, then you may follow the steps bellow.
  2. Turn On Wifi- every laptop or computer has a button to turn the wireless on or off. So you should try to turn on the wifi button by pressing the button.

Advance steps for Troubleshooting Wifi not working on windows 10 pc:

1. Enable Wireless Adapter- most of the time, we have wifi not working on windows 10 issue, just because we had disabled the wireless adapter by mistake, so you should make sure that wireless apapter is not turned off. You may follow these instructions to enable the wireless adapter.Open run box,Type ncpa.cpl and click on ok.Right click on wireless adapter and click on enable.Finally wifi adapter will be enable , so you can go ahead and try to connect with wifi now.
  2. Wi-fi driver is outdated: when you have an old computer, the wifi issue could be generated on laptop, just because of drivers are outdated, so you should try to update the driver. For updating the drivers, you may go ahead and follow these instructions :Open run box (press windows + R key).Type devmgmt.msc in the run box and click on ok.Click on network adapters,Now right click on your wireless adapter, and click on update driver.Finally you need to follow the instructions and your driver will be updated.
  3. Turn on wifi from settings- many times; we have encountered windows 10 won’t connect to wifi issue, just because of one silly mistake. That we make, but we do not realize, which is, we turn off the wifi from settings.
    so you should go to settings, and try to turn on the wifi settings from there. You may try these instructions to turn on the wifi. For more information you may follow, how to turn on wifi on windows 10 pc.
  4. Enable wireless service- if your windows wireless services are stopped from services.msc then it may cause wifi issue for laptop, so you should try to restart the wireless services, to restart the wireless services, you may follow these instructions :Open run box,Type services.msc and click on okScroll down and choose WLAN settings,If wlan service is stopped, then you need to click on start, if it is showing start, then you need to click on restart.
  5. Install Latest Driver- if you have tried to follow these steps, but somehow still, wifi not working on windows 10 laptop, then you should try to uninstall the wireless driver from your computer and reinstall the latest driver for your computer. for more information you may visit : how to install driver in windows computer-
  6. Default restore windows- a wifi issue on windows laptop , can generate because of bad update on windows pc as well. so you should try to restore your computer to the back date. when it was working fine. read more about system restore.

If the issue persists, Click here to find and install the wireless drivers on the HP website.

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

Give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

That'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

Sorry for the delay getting back to you. I've now got the problem resolved by using the last of the solutions you mentioned in your response - Resetting Windows.

Everything is now working properly.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers

Bill

HP Recommended

@BillW48

Thank you for the update,

I appreciate your time and efforts, 

I'm glad I could contribute towards resolving the issue and finding the solution you were looking for.

Thanks for taking the time to let the community know about the solution

You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.

I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉 

To simply say thanks for my efforts to assist you, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos.

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.