Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Today, HP said there is an important update for my wireless adapter and did an update via the HP Support and now have a red triangle with an ! inside it and now my wireless is dead refuse to find any wireless router and any attempt to get it working failed.

Product name: HP Pavilion g6 Notebook PC

Product number: C6M50EA#ABU

Windows 8.1 64-bit 

Qualcomm Atheros Driver Installation Program  -  Qualcomm Atheros  -  10.0

Qualcomm Atheros Extensible Wireless LAN device driver  -  Qualcomm Atheros Communications, Inc.  -  10.0.0.264

Hardware IDs PCI\VEN_168C&DEV_0032&SUBSYS_1838103C&REV_01

ANy ideas how I can fix this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thank you for the information. Based on this information, I have a few more troubleshooting steps I can suggest:

1. I would like you to attempt to ping your router. Information on how to perform this task is described here: How to Ping the Windows Network Router.

2. Take note if there is any packet loss, and/or whether or not you are able to perform this task.

3. Once this is done, I would like you to use HP Support Assistant to test this computer's network capabilities. To do this:

- Open HP Support Assistant and click on "Internet and Security".

- Ensure you are on the Internet tab, and click on "HP Network Check".

- It may generate a confirmation screen; just click "Next".

- This diagnostic will check certain conditions and variables. In the end, the results will be displayed. Please take note of any errors, and the possible root causes (you can click the arrow next to a root cause to display more information).

I will require this information if the issue is not resolved. As an additional troubleshooting step, I will suggest you perform a System Restore. I am suggesting this because you stated the issue occurred after an update. For more information on how to perform a System Restore, please reference this Microsoft website: How to refresh, reset, or restore your PC

Please note: A System Restore will return the computer to Windows 8. While in Windows 8, complete all of your Windows Updates and install any necessary drivers (this computer's Windows 8 drivers are located here: HP Pavilion g6-2213sa Notebook PC Drivers). Please verify whether or not the computer can connect to a wireless network at this point.

Once you have verified this, you can return the computer to Windows 8.1 if you wish. Please provide all of your results.

Mario

I worked on behalf of HP.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Wow no reply as yet 😞 I want my wireless back, doing a driver rollback isn't working either, trying to turn on the device just says device hardware is not found on this laptop (something like that) I had re-install drivers, uninstall drivers and re-install drivers and nothing.

Heck even gone as far as removing battery from the laptop and holding the power button down for 30 seconds for a hardware reset.

All because HP told me to update the device drivers grrrrrrrrrr.....

HP Recommended

Anyone pls help me I want my wireless back I have network cable across the floor and it a trip hazzard I want my wirless back, 2 days I am waiting and no answer to my question.

Is Atheros really that bad? if so might well get a new wireless adapter instead of this [edited by Moderator]atheros!!!! everywhere I goes, it the same thing missing hardware or **bleep** near impossible to install drivers for it to GET IT working!!!!

Need help come on help me pls.

HP Recommended

Hello PJWales. Thank you posting on the HP Forums. I understand the computer is experiencing a wireless driver conflict. I apologize because you have not received assistance yet. Please know that I will do what I can to provide a stable resolution.

You've already confirmed the computer can connect to the Internet via Ethernet. This indicates that the issue is exclusively wireless-related. As you have mentioned, this computer is using Windows 8.1. Please begin by following these instructions:

1. Go into Device Manager. Once you are in Device Manager, click on "View". Then, click on the option that reads "Show Hidden Devices".

2. In the device and driver list, look for "Network Adapters" and click on the mini-arrow next to it. Look for the wireless Qualcomm driver. Take note whether or not it exists, or if there are any errors.

3. Uninstall the current wireless Qualcomm driver. Do not restart the computer.

4. Please download and install the following wireless driver: Qualcomm Atheros QCA9000 Series Wireless LAN Driver for Microsoft Windows

A restart might be required once this driver is installed. At this point, please let me know the results. Specifically:

- Whether or not the wireless driver contained any conflicts, as step 2 indicated.

- Whether or not the wireless driver was able to be installed, or if there were any installation issues.

- Whether or not the computer can connect to a wireless network; pending the successful installation of the above driver.

As soon as I have this information, I can continue to thoroughly troubleshoot, if necessary. I'm only here to help!

Mario

HP Recommended

Hi,

I did what you asked, I've uninstalled the drivers and rei-installed the drivers with the link you provided andno errors is show under network adapters and the drivers has installed correctly with no errors.

Tried to turn the device on but just says no wireless device is found on this pc.  

network adapters screen.jpg

As you can see no errors listed, and this is what I see when I try to turn on or off the device.

device not found.jpg

SO look forward to your reply on this, this happened before but weirdly enough it kinds fo sorted itself out looks like it happening again, would this mean new adapter?

HP Recommended

Thank you for the information. Based on this information, I have a few more troubleshooting steps I can suggest:

1. I would like you to attempt to ping your router. Information on how to perform this task is described here: How to Ping the Windows Network Router.

2. Take note if there is any packet loss, and/or whether or not you are able to perform this task.

3. Once this is done, I would like you to use HP Support Assistant to test this computer's network capabilities. To do this:

- Open HP Support Assistant and click on "Internet and Security".

- Ensure you are on the Internet tab, and click on "HP Network Check".

- It may generate a confirmation screen; just click "Next".

- This diagnostic will check certain conditions and variables. In the end, the results will be displayed. Please take note of any errors, and the possible root causes (you can click the arrow next to a root cause to display more information).

I will require this information if the issue is not resolved. As an additional troubleshooting step, I will suggest you perform a System Restore. I am suggesting this because you stated the issue occurred after an update. For more information on how to perform a System Restore, please reference this Microsoft website: How to refresh, reset, or restore your PC

Please note: A System Restore will return the computer to Windows 8. While in Windows 8, complete all of your Windows Updates and install any necessary drivers (this computer's Windows 8 drivers are located here: HP Pavilion g6-2213sa Notebook PC Drivers). Please verify whether or not the computer can connect to a wireless network at this point.

Once you have verified this, you can return the computer to Windows 8.1 if you wish. Please provide all of your results.

Mario

HP Recommended

Hi Mario,

1. Ping results:-

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.3.9600]
(c) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Peter>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::d109:d04f:6dfb:472e%3
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.3
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

Tunnel adapter isatap.{0A232A08-40DD-49B3-889E-88AD0E046A20}:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected

Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:

IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:5ef5:79fb:34a8:445:ade1:394c
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::34a8:445:ade1:394c%17
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::

C:\Users\Peter>ping 192.168.0.1

Pinging 192.168.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time=4ms TTL=64

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 4ms, Maximum = 4ms, Average = 4ms

C:\Users\Peter>

2. Ping packet loss is none (via network cable)

3. See Image below:

network check screen results.jpg

Shown both cable and wireless and claimed to be reset and now going to reboot.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Update, I did a system restore back to an earlier restore point but failed gave me some errors message can't rememebr the code or type of errors it gave.

So did a refresh and after all the update and such it is now working however not happy at the description it gave me about any software or apps installed will be left on the desktop after refresh, this never happened so now have to try and remember what I has installed and what I need to get to install 😞

But the wireless is now working after a long process of system refresh.

Thanks for your time in helping.

PJ

HP Recommended

I had a similar problem with my gateway.  Do you know how I fixed it?  I upgraded the computer to windows 10.  Wireless is working again.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.