cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents and videos on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
The HP Calculator Community Message Board is moving. While we prepare for the move, we are unable to accept new postings. During the move, you can look for help from other users by visiting https://www.hpmuseum.org/ . Or if you need technical support for your calculator visit: HP Calculators. .
Nedo50
4 3 0 0
Message 1 of 8
Flag Post

Replacement network card

HP Recommended
HP Pavilion G7
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Dear HP users, I have an older HP Pavlion G7 series at home. Some time ago I upgraded it with an SSD and RAM as well. The computer works well. I found that it has a built-in mini PCI-E card Atheros model AR5B225. I would like to replace it with a faster one. There are many offers, I need advice from you, which WLAN Wi-FI card should I buy for my laptop?

Grateful for your advice.

7 REPLIES 7
Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
137,897 92,559 21,283 28,584
Message 2 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

If you don't have a g7-22xx or g7-23xx notebook, then it has a BIOS whitelist which prevents you from installing a different wifi card other than the one that came with your notebook.

Was this reply helpful? Yes No
Nedo50
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 3 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Unfortunately my model is a Pavlion G7 1202 em. After upgrading to Windows 10 I can't get into the BIOS.

Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
Message 4 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You definitely can't upgrade the WiFi card in that model, and if you can't get into the BIOS, I don't know how you would be able to reinstall W10 on a new SSD.

Nedo50
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 5 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Sorry. I can access the BIOS. I just checked, I didn't find the whitelist.

Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
Message 6 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I don't know how you get to see the Whitelist 

It is part of the BIOS code.

But your notebook definitely has one.

Nedo50
Author
4 3 0 0
Message 7 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thanks, we actually resolved the doubt. I can't upgrade the card. Thank you again.

Paul_Tikkanen
Level 21
Level 21
Message 8 of 8
Flag Post
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Warning Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation