Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
13-s102nu
Android 8.0 Oreo and older

Hi hp

My laptop came with a 2.4 ghz m2 which I replaced with a 5ghz capable, which works greatfor wifi but the Bluetooth never worked, either in windows 10 or Android. I think the issue is because the card has 2 antenna plugs and only 1 is connected. 

So I wonder if I can replace it with a single antenna m2 card like this

https://www.alternate.it/Intel/9461-NGWG-NV-scheda-di-rete-e-adattatore-WLAN-Bluetooth-433-Mbit-s-In...

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes, attaching an antenna wire to the other connector should resolve the problem, but be careful not to let that metal transceiver touch any metal parts of the notebook or you will short something out.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi:

The Intel 9461 will not work because it is a companion RF (CRF) card and needs a supported Intel 8th gen or newer processor in order to work.

The only other card where both the wifi and bluetooth work with one antenna cable is this one...

Realtek RTL8821CE 802.11 ac 1x1 WiFi + Bluetooth 4.2 Combo Adapter (MU-MIMO supported)   HP part # L17365-005.

The only place I have been able to find this model is on eBay.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=L17365-005&_sacat=0&_sop=15

The Realtek RTL8821CE wifi card will have a maximum throughput of 433 MBPS on the 5.0 GHz wifi band with an AC router.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul, 

Thanks but then the problem with my current card is not the antenna.. Or is it? 

Cause for instance the x360 manual mentions support for  AC 3160, which has 2 antenna plugs. 

Also my original realtek had 2 plugs. 

So maybe there are other models compatible? Maybe with bt 5.0?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Cards like the Intel 3165 need two antenna cables.

The main connection works the wifi and the aux connection works the Bluetooth.

Some of the older single band wifi cards could have both working out of one antenna, even if the card had two terminals.

If your wifi card was the Realtek RTL8723 with Bluetooth, that should have worked with only one antenna cable.

Why it didn't, that I do not know.

If you look at the illustrations for the 8821CE on eBay, you can see that there is only one terminal that the antenna can connect to, that works both the wifi and Bluetooth.

There aren't any other cards with a single antenna connection that have BT 5.0 other than the 9461, and I can guarantee you that neither the wifi nor the Bluetooth will work in your notebook with the 9461.

HP Recommended

The original did work..but i bought another m2 ac3160 (shown compatible in manual) with not working bluetooth.. 

HP Recommended

I managed to having working by putting a bt device close to the card… clearly is an antenna issue on ac3160! 

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Yes, attaching an antenna wire to the other connector should resolve the problem, but be careful not to let that metal transceiver touch any metal parts of the notebook or you will short something out.

HP Recommended

I tried to check some videos but I am not sure how... most says the antenna are behind the lcd...or where with the least unscrewing?

HP Recommended

Yes, in order to install the antenna correctly, you have to disassemble the entire notebook including the display panel area to properly run the second antenna.

You would not be able to use some generic antenna to do the job right.

You would have to order the antenna kit made for your notebook.   Chapter 3, page 19, item 7.

Antenna Kit (includes wireless antenna cables and transceivers)    HP part # 809815-001

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04825536

I think it would be easier (and probably cheaper) for you to just buy the Realtek 8821CE AC card and do a direct swap.

Not to mention the Realtek drivers are up to date, and Intel quit supporting the 3160 with drivers last year.

If you want to use a generic antenna, I would just run it around the bottom of the notebook and make sure no metal from the antenna touches any metal on the notebook such as the motherboard.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.