Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavillion dv6t-3200 CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

On Tuesday night I booted up my notebook and saw that the wifi wasn't working. Instead of the standard wifi icon, it was a box with a red x in it. Starting back in November of last year, it seemed like every other day, or every two days, I would have to troubleshoot the wifi connection to get it to work. It would usually just have that little asterisk near it. And it would fix itself and stay on, but Tuesday I only got it to work twice for about 30 mins each time. At first, I couldn't get the wifi switch to stay on in Network & Connections. Then the section for Wifi didn't show up at all. I have done almost every suggestion I could find online to fix this issue. I did a system restore back to last week, when a Windows update was done and that didn't solve anything. I have uninstalled and reinstalled drivers from Intel and HP twice. I have tried changing the power setting, it was already on max power. I tried resetting the IP address but got an error, I also tried to boot in Safe Mode and that did nothing. 

At this point, the Intel wireless driver on shows up in device manager when I choose the show hidden drivers. The connection doesn't show up at all in Network Connections anymore. So, do I need to replace the physical wifi card or is there any other solution to try?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @bml86,

Good day. Welcome to the HP Community 🙂  Hope you are doing well.  🙂  I understand that you require assistance regarding wifi issues of your computer. I’ll be delighted to assist you with this.

Fabulous analysis.  Terrific diagnosis of the issue as well before posting. Kudos to you on that score. 🙂 It is paramount to address this for you.

We definitely value your relation with HP and it is a privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂

For better clarity, and to assist you better, I would require more information regarding this:

Did you run a system recovery to factory settings on the computer to isolate correctly if the issue is hardware or software related?

Have you tried a hard wired Ethernet connection?

For now please try these steps:

Please perform a bios defaults by performing these steps:

1. Turn on or restart the computer.
  2. While the display is blank, press the f10 key to enter the BIOS settings menu.
  3. Press the f9 key to reset the BIOS to the default settings.
  4. Press the f10 key to save the changes and exit the BIOS settings menu.

Then use a wired Ethernet cable and check if it works. If it does, Please uninstall the wireless network drivers from device manager by following these steps:

• Right-Click on start button> click device manager> expand network adapters>then select the wireless drivers that are listed and right-click on it and uninstall the drivers. (which includes hidden devices in device manager.
  • Check the box that states delete the software for this device.
  • Then restart the computer and update Wi-Fi drivers from the manufacturer’s website.

Now try to connect using the wireless network after removing the Ethernet cable.

If this does not work follow the steps from this link: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Wireless-and-Networking/Common-fixes-for-wireless-connectivity...

Also check this link out for further assistance: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10741/windows-10-fix-network-connection-issues

Finally, if nothing works please backup your files and try a system recovery to factory settings.

Even if this does not work, then, it is a possible hardware issue with the Wi-Fi card.

The other workaround would be is to get a USB Wi-Fi dongle and plug it to one of the USB ports of the computer and then connect to the Wi-Fi router. You should be able to order one for a song. It is cost effective as well.

Hope this helps.  Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. 🙂  Please reach out for any issues and I'll be there to assist you. 🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, so I tried using an ethernet cable yesterday and that did work. I tried resetting the winsock and ip and that didn't work. Still getting messages saying "The Intel (R) Centrino (R) Wireless-N 1000 Driver adapter is experiencing driver or hardware related problems" when I try troubleshooting. If it does show up in Network adapters in Device Manager, it appears with an exclamaition point next to it. 

I don't think it would be worth it to go back to factory settings. I have a lot of work saved on this laptop. At this point, I guess I should just buy a longer ethernet cable or get a wireless usb. 

HP Recommended

HI @bml86,

I reviewed the super quick post. Thanks for the response. You've done some outstanding and fabulous troubleshooting to correct the situation. 🙂 hats off to you for that. 🙂 Brilliant effort.:) The network adapter listing with an exclamation mark in device manager suggests a missing driver. If you've tried to reinstall the driver from the manufacturer's website without much success, then yes the next course of action would be to try a wireless USB dongle. It is very cost effective. At least we deduced that.

You've been simply fabulous to work with, considering your technical expertise and exhaustive technical skills. 🙂  It has been an absolute privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂 Trust me, I've done all I can to assist you, by keeping your best interest in mind. 

I honestly hope the wireless USB dongle does the trick and the computer works great and stays healthy for a long time to come. 🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. Smiley Happy

You take care, stay healthy, keep smiling big and do have a blessed year ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.