Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy x360 15t-w100 CTO
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So, this latop is a bit strange. Its wireless download speed, and ONLY its download speed, is very very slow. It is always at <1Mbps (usually around 250Kbps at 5Ghz and <100Kbps at 2.4Ghz) but it's upload speeds reaches expected speeds above 20Mbps. I've also compared it to a secondary laptop connected to the same network and router which consistently reaches above 20Mbps download/upload speeds at 2.4Ghz (there are a lot of devices connected to this router, but it is a business class router running a 10Gbps network). Ethernet speeds are unaffected, however.

Things that I've tried:

-Updating drivers

-Uninstalling and reinstalling drivers

-Reseating the wifi card

-USB wifi adapter (exact same results, disabled internal adapter in Device Manager)

-Changing device properties across different bands and forcing either a, b, and g modes

-Disabling Firewall

-Reinstalling Windows 10

-Using a different hard drive with Windows 10

-Disabling Bluetooth

-Updating BIOS

-Using a different router

-Using wifi at another location

-Using different browsers

-Using my smartphone's hotspot

HP Support Assistant's diagnostics also doesn't report any network issues (not that it should for this case but I had to try something else). The card is an Intel AC-7265.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi

That is a comprehensive list, and leaves almost nothing to suggest.

This short script is to gather information on some parts of your system
OS, Networking Hardware and Software etc.

Copy and paste the section between the ~~~~ lines, into NotePad.
Save as PN.bat somewhere easily accessible. Double click to Run
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
@ECHO OFF

PowerShell -Command "Get-NetAdapter"
PowerShell -Command "Get-NetAdapter -Name * | Format-Table -View Driver"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Typical output...

Name InterfaceDescription ifIndex Status MacAddress LinkSpeed
---- -------------------- ------- ------ ---------- ---------
Ethernet Realtek PCIe FE Ethernet 9 Disconnected AA-AA-AA-AA-AA-A8 0 bps
Bluetooth Bluetooth Device 17 Disconnected AA-AA-AA-AA-AA-A7 3 Mbps
WiFi Realtek RTL8723BE 802 18 Up AA-AA-AA-AA-AA-A6 72 Mbps

Name InterfaceDescription DriverFileName DriverDate DriverVersion NdisVersion
---- -------------------- -------------- ---------- ------------- -----------
Ethernet Realtek PCIe FE Ethernet rt640x64.sys 2015-04-06 9.1.406.2015 6.40
Bluetooth Bluetooth Device bthpan.sys 2006-06-21 10.0.16299.15 6.30
WiFi Realtek RTL8723BE 802 rtwlane.sys 2017-05-03 2023.54.33... 6.70

HP Recommended

Hm. ISP issues?

HP Recommended

We have had the same issues with some Envy and Spectre x360 laptops here in our office.  Definitely not the wifi service or ISP as other devices do not experience the same slow download speed.  We see that after a reboot the download speed will be fine for a short time, but after some runtime on a wifi connection the speed will slow significantly.  The issue is only on a wifi connection - when connected to a port replicator which has an ethernet connection we do not see the issue.

This is a recent issue for us.  The first occurrence came up shortly after the first fixes were pushed out for the Intel vulnerabilities that were reported earlier this year, so we suspect the issue is related to the 'fix'.  However we have had no luck finding a definite solution.  In the meantime the impacted users (myself included) reboot on occasion to get wireless performance to tolerable levels. 

HP Recommended

Hi

Driver rollback?

Just out of desperation, an example of my crayons, and how pretty a picture it makes.

Flow Chart Adapters.pngChannelClogging.pngNetwork PolyGlot.png

So we have possible channel flooding, transmit power and channel width/bonding. 

Resource conflict?

Clutching at straws really.

HP Recommended

So help is no longer needed with this one, thanks. The problem kind of just....fixed itself. After several days asleep I woke the laptop up and the issue was just gone. The whole thing was just strange, but as much as I'd like to know what caused it it's out of my hands now.

Thanks all for the suggestions and insight.

HP Recommended

I had this exact problem with a refurbished Envy 17-u273cl that I received yesterday. Download was less than 1mbps, upload was over 20. All my other devices were fine, and plugging into eithernet improved the download speed to >60mbps.

I was planning to simply return the laptop, but after reading this post I tried one more time this morning, and now the download is >20mbps. This is better for now, but does not inspire confidence! How has your experience been since you wrote this post? I don't want to be gone on travel and have the wireless "act up" again, when I won't have the option to plug into eithernet.

HP Recommended

Solution :

The problem is not in your laptop but it is in your wifi Router.

1. open wireless router setup page it should be defined on the box of router along with IP (often 192.168.0.1) and default username and Password. log in with that
  2. now find wireless setting or Advanced wireless settings or Wireess basic setting (not Wireless setup)
  3. then search for Channel width -> set it from 20Mhz to 40Mhz or 20/40MHz accouring to which setting is available in your rouuter
  4. select band or wireless mode to 802.11mixed(n/g/b) or 802.11(n/g) it should contain 'n' or 'N'
  5. Save changes and reboot Router
  6. (Also should be Noted: turn off Bluetooth, stay away from Microwave, Walkie-talkie or any other device which use 2.4Mhz wireless band, because of that also your speed may get distorted and unstable)
  7. Done & Enjoy High Speed WIreless

you can see that in network adapter settings that your wireless is now connected with 150mbps

and also still there is an issue then go to device manager > network adapters > your wifi adapter > (right click) properties > advanced > from several options > wireless mode > set it to the option which has maximum numbers of n/g/b like that (shown in image)

Thats pretty much it Nothing More problem than this will occur.

Defunately this much of settings will solve the Problem. 🙂

Solution 1, img1Solution 1, img1Solution 1, img2Solution 1, img2Solution 2, img2Solution 2, img2Solution 2, img1Solution 2, img1check wireless speed,  shoould be150mbps or 300mbpscheck wireless speed, shoould be150mbps or 300mbps

HP Recommended

We are also having the same issue wifi download is in kbps and upload is in mbps and we have already replaced the mainboard and wifi but still getting the same issue i think it is compatibiltiy issue with HP EliteBook X360 1030 G2 notebook inbuilt WiFi adopter Intel Dual Band Wireless AC 8265 with Windows 10 versoin 1803, 1709

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.