Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP 250 G4
Linux

I tried to replace the WIFI card that came with the laptop because it was dying and unreliable, the replacement seems to be undetected in every operating system I check. I was pretty sure that 4th / 5th gen intel chips didn't have bios whitelists so the card should work. Is this just a DOA card or is there some whitelist I don't know about?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Alright so got things figured out myself, but wanted to answer this so someone else googling around can find an easy answer.

After trying tons and tons of WLAN cards at a laptop graveyard to see what works and what doesn't,  it seems like there is either a whitelist or the bios is being so unreasonably picky you basically you have to use their parts.

These are the ones listed in the manual as replacements, and that do work:

Broadcom BCM43142 802.11 b/g/n 1x1 Wi-Fi + BT4.0 M.2 Combo Adapter 792608-005

Realtek RTL8188EE 802.11b/g/n 1x1 Wi-Fi Adapter 792609-005

Realtek RTL8723BE 802.11b/g/n 1x1 Wi-Fi + BT4.0 Combo Adapter 792610-005

I reccomend 792610-005 as it personally gave me the best results.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Alright so got things figured out myself, but wanted to answer this so someone else googling around can find an easy answer.

After trying tons and tons of WLAN cards at a laptop graveyard to see what works and what doesn't,  it seems like there is either a whitelist or the bios is being so unreasonably picky you basically you have to use their parts.

These are the ones listed in the manual as replacements, and that do work:

Broadcom BCM43142 802.11 b/g/n 1x1 Wi-Fi + BT4.0 M.2 Combo Adapter 792608-005

Realtek RTL8188EE 802.11b/g/n 1x1 Wi-Fi Adapter 792609-005

Realtek RTL8723BE 802.11b/g/n 1x1 Wi-Fi + BT4.0 Combo Adapter 792610-005

I reccomend 792610-005 as it personally gave me the best results.

HP Recommended

i have ordered an Intel ac-8260 m2 module for my HP250 G4 . Will it work ?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.