Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Spectre 15-bl075nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, I recently purchased a 2017 Spectre 15-bl075nr. Whenever I connect the device with Miracast to a TV, my wifi performance drops from 150Mbs to <3Mbs. The laptop has an Intel AC 8265 and I'm running W10 Creator's Update. I contacted Intel and they reviewed results from their SSU utility but could not find anything causing the problem.

I'm pretty sure it's not a problem with my TV or Router because I'm able to maintain a max wifi speed when I connect with a Dell XPS18 laptop and with a Samsung Note 5.

The only other problem I've had is that often when I wake the laptop up from sleep mode, it starts a disk checking activity, but not sure if that's related.

I've had the laptop for <30 days so it's still in the return window, just not sure if it's a defect or system issue.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Well, looks like the problem was with a change WCU makes to the "Receive Segment Coalescing State" value.

Prior to updating to WCU "Receive Segment Coalescing State" is set to "disabled"

After updating to WCU "Receive Segment Coalescing State" is set to "enabled"

I ran "netsh int tcp set global rsc=disabled", verified it took with "netsh int tcp show global" and now I get full 150/150 on Miracast when running WCU.

Not sure exactly what this does (or doesn't do when disabled) but I was starting to worry as from what I've been reading, this laptop is actually geared toward taking advantages of the features of WCU.

@HP

I appreciate your help though. You may want to add these steps to the list of suggestions you posted earlier in this thread.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

@mb2k

This is a great location to get assistance! I read your post and see that the WIFI is slow when you connect your HP computer to miracast. I would like to help you resolve this issue. 

Run a UEFI component test on network from windows to check for any failures.

Click here and follow the steps mentioned under running the UEFI component tests in the document.

Reply with the result of the above-mentioned steps, for further assistance.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I've run all the test under the UEFI tests including the extended test and all passed.

I've also run the HP Assistant update and it seems to have installed an earlier version of the Intel Wifi driver.

I had previously updated to the latest one from Intel.

Either way, with both versions I run into the same problem. I should note that it seems that the slow down is only on my download speed. I was using fast.com which only gives a summary. I then tried Bing's speed test and found that my upload is max but my download is around 3Mbs

HP Recommended

@mb2k

Thanks for the reply.

Miracast creates a wireless connection between TV and computer.

It will impact the wireless connection

I request you to contact HP Phone Support for further assistance on this.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello, after some more troubleshooting, it appears that the problem is with using Windows Creators Update.

I factory reset my Spectre then updated all drivers including the latest Intel AC8265 driver. I was able to maintain  150Mbs up and 150Mbs down while on a Miracast connection.

I then installed Windows Creators Update via the upgrade assistant and after the install was complete, the laptop went back to <5Mbs down / 150Mbs up. The only change was the OS update and if I'm not mistaken, the update would have eventually been installed.

Can someone from HP check this problem using the same laptop I have with the WCU update? I've provided this same information to Intel and have submitted the issue to the windows forum.

Thank you.

HP Recommended

Hi @mb2k,

Thank you for replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

As I understand you have followed the steps suggested and found that the problem is with Windows Creator update. Don't worry as I have a few other steps which should help you to resolve your concern,

Let's try uninstalling and reinstalling the Windows creator update and check if it helps.

I would suggest please update the BIOS on your PC and check if it helps.

Also, download and install HP support assistant on your PC. It should automatically download and install the latest updates and drivers for your PC.

Refer this link to know how to use HP support assistant.

You could also try to update the Windows, using this link.

I hope this helps. Let me know how it goes for further assistance. I'll be more than happy to help.

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Let's try uninstalling and reinstalling the Windows creator update and check if it helps.

Uninstalled WCU, no problems. Reinstalled WCU, download speed on Miracast still slow

I would suggest please update the BIOS on your PC and check if it helps.

BIOS is up to date per the support site (F.04 Rev.A)

Also, download and install HP support assistant on your PC. It should automatically download and install the latest updates and drivers for your PC.

All updates from HSA have been applied.

Refer this link to know how to use HP support assistant.

You could also try to update the Windows, using this link.

After WCU update, no available updates per Windows Update and HP Support Assistant

I hope this helps. Let me know how it goes for further assistance. I'll be more than happy to help.

I honestly would just like to have some from HP try using this same laptop on Creators Update to see if the download speed decreases. I know it's not a hardware problem on my equipment because it only happens when running Creators Update.

Thank you in advance.

HP Recommended

Hi @mb2k,

Thanks for the update,

As I understand you have followed the steps suggested and still having the issue, this is definitely not a hardware issue. Don't worry as I have a few suggestions which should help you to resolve this issue.

Let's try these steps here:

Open Device Manager.
- Open the "Network Adapter" list, and find the WiFi adapter.
- Right Click the driver, and select "Disable“ and “Re-Enable”
- Check if Wifi connects. If not, continue with the steps below.
- Open CMD as Admin:  Copy the following commands, and press enter after each one.

-

netsh int tcp set heuristics disabled
netsh int tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled
netsh int tcp set global rss=enabled

netsh int tcp show global  (Check if All settings have taken effect)

Reboot the system and see if it works.

HP PCs - Troubleshooting Wireless Network and the Internet (Windows 10) - Click here

I hope this helps. Let me know how it goes for further assistance.

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I tried all the steps listed and still have the same error.

Can someone from HP please just try using this laptop configuration on Windows Creators Update to see if these symptoms occur?

I've rolled back to the previous windows version and have opened a ticket with Microsoft.

HP Recommended

Hi @mb2k,

Thank you for replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

This is a kind of smart move, I would suggest you keep in touch with Microsoft as this looks to be a compatible driver issue. Let's wait for Microsoft to release a patch which should help you fix this issue and do keep us informed. 

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.