Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Spectre X360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Just got the new HP Spectre X360 I7 10th gen laptop. It came with the AX201 WiFi and it is very slow. I have the previous model of the laptop as well and it has a different WiFi card and does not have the slowness issues. I have tried every variant of driver from HP and from Intel to try and address this with no resolution. As well gone through every Advanced section adjusting settings and got no results. I can try and copy a file from another machine and I get a max of 24MB/s while the other laptop gets between 55MB/s and 60MB/s. Both running SSD with optane drives. Pretty much all specs are the same except the new one is a 10th GEN I7 and new WiFi card. This is horrible performance for a $1600 laptop. Any help is appreciated to fix this. I have found other forums having the same issue on the new Surface Tablets with the same WiFi card.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Dave,

I wanted to let everyone know this. I did not actually return the machine. I ended doing a full system restore on the machine. Once I did that, 4 hours later. I thought why not try it one more time after a full restore. That actually fixed the issue. It Is now copying files around 70MBs (600Mbs to 700Mbs) WiFi speed. I noticed as well after the restore it actually setup the laptop differently than it was out of the box. It used a different theme, an actual HP Theme. It caught my eye because I do have the same model for myself just a few months older. Everything is pretty much identical but the CPU and WiFI card. 

On another note the Surface WiFi issues are different. They do not function properly when coming out of sleep mode. So when they wake up it is much slower than they should be. If they reboot it fixes it. Nothing fixed mine until I did the full system restore. Another side note, this new model spectre also actually seemed to be faster after the system restore. It wasnt slow before but I could tell a difference after the restore. The wife had only loaded a few things like Chrome and a few other basic things since we couldnt figure out the issue at first. So nothing loaded had caused any issues. 

Hope this helps. 

View solution in original post

23 REPLIES 23
HP Recommended

@JoshBriscoe

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I reviewed your post and I understand that you are facing issues with the internet speed with the new wireless card.

Don’t worry, I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I recommend you uninstall the wireless driver from the device manager and then download and install it from the below link and check if it helps.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/downloads/eula/29122/Windows-10-Wi-Fi-Drivers-for-Intel-Wireless-Ad...

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@The_Fossette

This has made no change. I have gone through every version of the driver offered by HP and from Intel before making this post. I did try this driver with no change. I went through the Device Manager and uninstalled the driver as well removed the driver from the system during the uninstall. I ran the install from the package you suggested and it did not install a WiFi card back in Device Manage. I had to tell it again to search for new hardware then it installed with version 21.50.1.1.

WiFi speed still slow. Keep in mind I have the same laptop just different WiFi card and 8th gen I7 and it does this exact same copy about 3 times the speed. Below is a screen shot of the max speed I can get.

SlowWiFi.JPG

HP Recommended

@JoshBriscoe I suggest you perform an extensive hardware test to identify any hardware malfunctions before we begin to work on a solution:

Install the latest version of the HP Hardware diagnostics (UEFI) on your device using this link: Click here for details

• Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.
  • Turn on the computer and immediately press Esc repeatedly, about once every second. When the menu appears, press the F2 key.
  • On the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu, click System Tests.
  • Click Extensive Test.
  • Click Run once, or Loop until error.
  • While the test is running, the time remaining and test result for each component display on the screen.

If a component fails a test, write down the failure ID (24-digit code) for when you respond back to us.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Unfortunately this did not return any helpful results. I am attaching pictures to show the results. 

Josh1.jpg2.jpg

HP Recommended

@JoshBriscoe

Are you facing any issues with the internet connection speed?

Are you connected to 2.4GHz or 5GHz network?

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@The_Fossette

There are no internet issues with the house. We get about 240meg internet connection.  This laptop will only test at about 90meg where the identical laptop will hit the max of 240 meg. 

They are both connected at 5GHZ. I even have the preference to use 5GHZ when available. 

I am probably going to take the laptop back today and exchange it. This is extremely frustrating having a brand new laptop that cost almost $2k that performs this bad. 

HP Recommended

@JoshBriscoe

Thank you for keeping me posted.

Please get the laptop replaced and check.

If any other questions arise, please feel free to write back to me.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have exactly the same problem as JoshBriscoe.

My workaround to get full wifi speed: I have an old TPLink USB 2.0 Wifi adapter (about the size of a small thumb drive) that I plug into the Spectre's USB 3 port, and it works fine.  If you don't have one laying around, Office Depot carries them for under $20, and you can find them even cheaper on Amazon.

The Spectre I'm having the problem with is a customized HP Spectre X360 13" with the beautiful OLED display and the AX201 that just arrived on Monday 11/18.  Everything works great except that the wifi speed is about 1/5 to 1/10 of what I get on the other devices at home here (including my previous HP Spectre X360 15").

I talked with HP Support on the phone for several hours yesterday going through lots of diagnostics and settings, but nothing seemed to work.

We then found the info that JoshBriscoe mentions about the same problem occurring on the Surface machines, so it doesn't seem to be HP specific.

So instead of returning my Spectre for replacement or repair, I'm going to hang on to it for a while and assume that Intel, HP, or Microsoft will offer a driver or Windows update that fixes the problem.

HP Recommended

Dave,

I wanted to let everyone know this. I did not actually return the machine. I ended doing a full system restore on the machine. Once I did that, 4 hours later. I thought why not try it one more time after a full restore. That actually fixed the issue. It Is now copying files around 70MBs (600Mbs to 700Mbs) WiFi speed. I noticed as well after the restore it actually setup the laptop differently than it was out of the box. It used a different theme, an actual HP Theme. It caught my eye because I do have the same model for myself just a few months older. Everything is pretty much identical but the CPU and WiFI card. 

On another note the Surface WiFi issues are different. They do not function properly when coming out of sleep mode. So when they wake up it is much slower than they should be. If they reboot it fixes it. Nothing fixed mine until I did the full system restore. Another side note, this new model spectre also actually seemed to be faster after the system restore. It wasnt slow before but I could tell a difference after the restore. The wife had only loaded a few things like Chrome and a few other basic things since we couldnt figure out the issue at first. So nothing loaded had caused any issues. 

Hope this helps. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.