Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Josh,

Thank you for the update.

HP Support and I tried a full system restore yesterday, with no change.  I'm in the middle of another full system restore right now to see if there is any difference.

If the full system restore doesn't work again, then maybe the problem is specific to my machine and I'll have to call Support back to arrange for a repair.

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

If that doesnt work, I would almost consider returning it. Most places have like 30 days for returns. Hope that will work for you.

Josh

HP Recommended

I rec'd my Spectre today. Had same issue... Speeds max'd at around 100 where my other machine gets 250.

Updated windows to 1909

Updated all via HP

Updated via Intel Driver&Support Assistant... got NEW drivers (for Rapid storage,Bluetooth and Wifi)

But still no speed...

Fixed it with a simple setting change.

Device Manager/NetworkAdapters/Intel AX201

Choose properties.

Goto Advanced.
Select Mimo Powersave Mode...  change from Auto SMPS to No SMPS.
et voila!

HP Recommended

Hi KeepITcool,

Thank you for the instructions.

Unfortunately for me, they didn't work on my machine.  I just finished running through the steps, with no change in the low wireless speed (normally on our cheap plan I get 10 Mbps, but on the new Spectre I get only 1 Mbps).  On the HP Support call we ran through the same steps (including the NoSMPS setting) a couple of times, but just in case something changed in the last day I ran through them again in the exact order you listed them.

I am pretty convinced now that there is a hardware problem on the Spectre.  I called HP and arranged for a repair; the box that HP wants me to mail the Spectre to the repair center in is scheduled to arrive tomorrow (Friday).

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

Hi @DaveParker,

my earlier 'solution' did work for a while but it's back.
pretty sure it's a driver and not a hardware issue... to be solved by HP/Intel and to me it does appear to be related to the surface issue.  Using Speedtest.net  My old laptop and my phone show a ping of 5-10ms and (internet) speeds of 225-250Mbps.

The Spectre only gets pings of 30-50ms and  speeds around 100Mbps irrespective of AC/DC and thermal profiles and power slider.  But it WAS working for a while.  Frustrating.

it's early morning here in Amsterdam. been a long night. 
Cheerz, Jurgen

HP Recommended

Hi Jurgen,

Thank you for the update; I hope it starts working again for you.

Yes, my problem could also be a driver problem and not a hardware problem, I can't tell for sure.  If I knew for sure that it was a driver problem, I wouldn't send my Spectre back to HP for repair, I would just wait for an update because I can use the Spectre as it is by plugging an external USB Wifi adapter into the Spectre's USB 3 port.

I am hoping that HP repair will be able to identify for sure if it is a hardware or software problem, so that if it is hardware they can fix it, or if it is software they can tell me to wait for an update.  After my Spectre comes back from the shop I will post the results.

HP Recommended

I may have found it... (or not).

Been on the phone with Dutch support. As I had done some 'customisation' with installing latest Intel drivers... we decided to do a complete reset.. that proved useless, but the support guy was knowledgeable and tried his best.
But we had also discussed that i was already on 1909 and some HP apps may not have been optimised yet.
Which made me think... The HP Command Centre.. has some settings for Thermals and a tab called NetworkBooster which, although i turned it off, is intended to direct or throttle network traffic.

So I just uninstalled HP Command centre and instantly had my full speed back.  Can't say for sure as I had also been fiddling with other stuff... but it sure looks like it. I've now rebooted, resumed from sleep..  and I still have normal pings & full speed.

For others: please try!
And if it turn out to be the culprit it's time for HP to update that App pronto!.. as I now cannot change Thermal settings... unless I dig into hidden advanced power options 😉

Cheerz, Jurgen

attn: @Riddle_Decipher  @The_Fossette  @JoshBriscoe

HP Recommended

Update:

After I reinstalled HP Command Centre (powershell) the problem is back immediately.
Note: The Network Booster shows as OFF!  For me it's now 100% certain that the Network Booster options in HP Command Centre (v 1.2.27.0) is not compatible with the latest Intel drivers for the AX201 (21.50.1.1) which are installed by Windows 10 Build 1909.

So:   
Set your favourite Thermal Profile (you can't change that once HP Command is uninstalled.)

Uninstall HP Command Centre.
Disconnect / Reconnect from your AP/Router. 

Note:
the app will still be installed on the machine: it just wont load for the current user.
To reinstall open PowerShell (Admin) and paste following:
Get-AppXPackage *ad2f*thermal* -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"

Hope this helps!
Cheerz, Jurgen

HP Recommended

Hi Jurgen,

Good work!

Unfortunately for me, I tried uninstalling the HP Command Center and I still had slow internet.  But, I will try again a few more times over the next few days while checking other possibilities, too.

I decided to not return my new Spectre.  I like it too much, and you are convincing me that it is not a hardware problem.  Also, the SSD on my previous computer failed yesterday morning, so I am now using the Spectre as my work machine.

HP Recommended

Check your drivers. (control panel/device manager/network/intel.. properties)

Latest drivers via HP are 21.40 (sep). But I'm using 21.50.1 (nov) direct from Intel... 
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/59485/Wireless-Networking 

you'll need  (and it will be a pain on 10Mbps)
Win10 Wifi Drivers for Intel Wireless Adapters (21.50.1)
Wireless Bluetooth for Win10 (21.50.0)

btw: I'm also using the latest Intel Graphics (26.20.100.7463) but those are a bit harder to install.

HTH, Jurgen

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.