Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Chromebook x2
Chrome OS

Hi, 

I have a Chromebook x2 and want to turn it to a Wifi Access Point. The reason is the following: 

I want to use a Tango printer at my office which only has cable network. So I was thinking I could connect the Chromebook via an adapter to the cable network (that works, already tried) and then make the Chromebook into a wifi access point to which the Tango printer could connect to. 

That way I should be able to print to the Tango from the Chromebook. 

Online I couldn't find anything like that, so I'm wondering if WiFi Access Point is even possible with the Chromebook. 

Thanks in advance! 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@MarkHuber

Thank you for posting on HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, I have a few troubleshooting steps we could try to fix the issue:  

1. Open the item you want to print if it is web-based content such as a web page, cloud-stored document, or an email. Using Wi-Fi Direct temporarily disconnects your computer from the internet.

2. Turn on the printer and make sure ink cartridges are installed and paper is loaded in the tray.

3. Get the Wi-Fi Direct printer name (Example: DIRECT-72-HP Officejet Pro 6970) and password.

Printers with a control panel display: Open the Wi-Fi Direct menu or print a network configuration report to get the printer name and password.

• Touch the Wi-Fi Direct icon  or open the Wi-Fi Direct settings menu to get the name and password.

• Go to the Reports menu, and then select Network Summary or Network config. to print a network summary page. The name and password is under the Wi-Fi Direct section.

Printers with buttons only: Print a report that lists the Wi-Fi Direct printer name and password. Use a method that matches the buttons on your printer.

• Press the Information button  to print the report.

• Press and hold the Wi-Fi Direct button  for 3 seconds to print the report.

• Press the Wireless  and Information buttons  at the same time to print the report.

• Press and hold the Resume/Cancel  or Resume button  for 2-3 seconds to print the information page.

• Press and hold the Resume/Cancel  or Resume button  for 10 seconds to print the information page.

4. On the Chromebook, open the item you want to print.

5. Click the clock in the bottom right corner, and then click the Wi-Fi icon.

Chromebook Wi-Fi setting

6. Select your Wi-Fi Direct printer name from the list of available networks, and then enter the password.

Select the Wi-Fi Direct printer signal in Wi-Fi settings

7. Return to the main settings menu, and then click Settings .

8. Scroll to the bottom of the screen and click Advanced.

9. Scroll to the Printing section, click Printers, and then click Add Printer.

10. Click your printer name, and then click Add.

Add a printer in Chrome OS

11. Return to the item you are printing, click the Chrome browser settings icon , and then select Print.

Print menu in Chrome settings

12. Next to Destination, click Change, and then select your printer.

Select the printer as a print destination

13. Change any print settings, and then click Print.

14. Reconnect to your local Wi-Fi network after the print job completes.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted for further assistance.
Please click “
Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.