Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
hP 15 ay118nl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I want to upgrade Realtek 8723be wifi card with 2.4ghz frequency only, of my HP 15 ay118nl notebook. The wifi card that I would like to mount are the following:

• Intel Ac9560
  • Intel Ac9642
  • Intel Ax200 / 201
  • Intel Ax210

Because these wifi cards have both 2.4 and 5 GHz frequency and also a more updated Bluetooth version. I would like to know if they are supported or if there are similar cards supported?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

In the end I bought and installed the Intel Ax 200 wireless card indicated in the ebay link above. To disassemble the computer I followed these two videos https://youtu.be/z7vnW2cI6ZE https://youtu.be/29ATsTfRaJs. The most difficult part is to change the wifi antennas and remove the old one, in the attached photos I have circled the most difficult.IMG_20210308_182651.jpgIMG_20210308_182012.jpgIMG_20210308_181216.jpgIMG_20210308_150822.jpgIMG_20210308_150808.jpg

View solution in original post

www.techstore.co.in - In this video we show you how to upgrade your HP 15 AY series laptop
13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Hi:

Since your notebook only has one antenna wire, the cards you want to upgrade to won't work properly.

The 9560 & 9462 cards will not work at all because they are CRF cards, and only can be installed in notebooks that originally came with those cards.

The AX200/201/210 may work, but you will not have any Bluetooth or antenna diversity, and you must buy the non-vPro versions of those cards, or they won't work at all.

There is only one wifi card you can do a direct, no hassle upgrade to and that is this one...

Realtek RTL8821CE 802.11 ac 1x1 WiFi + Bluetooth 4.2 Combo Adapter (MU-MIMO supported) HP part # L17365-005.

You can find this model on eBay, or Ali Express,

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=L17365-005&_sacat=0&_sop=15

The card will have the same 72 MBPS throughput as the original wifi card on the 2.4 GHz wifi band, but on the 5.0 GHz wifi band, it will have a max throughput of 433 MBPS when you have an AC router with an excellent wifi signal strength.

Below is the link to the service manual, where you can find the wifi card removal and replacement procedure.

HP Notebook PC (Intel) * Models: 15-ay000 – 15-ay099 * Models: 15-ay100 – 15-ay199HP 250 G5 Notebook...

HP Recommended

thank you very much for your reply, I had already planned to install another antenna as the computer only mounts one. I would like to understand what is CRF that prevents me from installing the latest Intel AC series wifi cards? as for the Intel Ax 200-201-210 series they would suit me and installing the second antenna should work both wifi bands, I would like to understand why Bluetooth would not work, even if they are equipped with bluetooth from 5.0 / 1/2?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

A CRF (Companion RF) card is not a 'complete' wifi module.

The way I understand it, part of the wifi is controlled by the processor (must be a certain Intel 8th gen processor or newer), and the body of the card is where the antenna wires connect to for reception and some other functions.

Basically if you were to install either of the 2 CRF cards in your PC, they wouldn't show up in the device manager.

The AX cards require two antennas for better wifi reception and the Bluetooth reception is controlled by the Auxiliary terminal, where the second antenna (that your notebook doesn't have) connects to.

The Bluetooth will show up in the device manager, but you would have to put whatever you wanted to connect to, right next to your notebook.  Some folks reported it pairs but won't connect.

You need two antenna wires.

You can try this HP-branded AX 200 card... you can find it on eBay, as it is on back order in the HP parts store in Italy.

Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 ax 2×2 + Bluetooth 5.0 MU-MIMO M.2 2230 non-vPro 160 MHz PCI-e   HP part # L35282-005

HP Recommended

Thank you for the clarifications.

I will operate for the Ax 200, summarizing my PC has only one antenna that should be "aux" while the "main" antenna is missing and I should add it would serve me to make the second wifi band act and bluetooth, but i should connect it i think to the motherboard for bluetooth management, right or wrong?

Can you recommend other similar but previous cards in which everything works by installing the second antenna, i noticed that many cards are sold in kits like the following

https://www.ebay.com/itm/392599057159

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

You connect the original antenna wire to the WiFi card's main antenna terminal, and the antenna you add to the WiFi card's auxiliary terminal.

Unfortunately, I'm can only recommend the Realtek card which I know will work.

Anything else will be an interesting experiment.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your suggestions, I'll try an Intel Ax series card and update you on the results

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Looking forward to reading about the results of your WiFi card upgrade project 

HP Recommended

In the end I bought and installed the Intel Ax 200 wireless card indicated in the ebay link above. To disassemble the computer I followed these two videos https://youtu.be/z7vnW2cI6ZE https://youtu.be/29ATsTfRaJs. The most difficult part is to change the wifi antennas and remove the old one, in the attached photos I have circled the most difficult.IMG_20210308_182651.jpgIMG_20210308_182012.jpgIMG_20210308_181216.jpgIMG_20210308_150822.jpgIMG_20210308_150808.jpg

www.techstore.co.in - In this video we show you how to upgrade your HP 15 AY series laptop
HP Recommended

That is great news.

Thanks for letting us know that the Intel AX 200 card works if you add a second antenna, or if the notebook originally came with a dual band Intel AC wifi card, which would already have two antenna wires in place.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.