Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 15-bw0xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My laptop currently has this network card: realtek rtl8723de 802.11b/g/n pcie adapter 

it can only support 2.4ghz, I recently bought the laptop not knowing this, can i pay to have this card replaced with one that can support both 2.4 and 5ghz?

If so how much would it cost and where do i sent it

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

N works on both bands if the card supports dual band wifi, which the 8723DE wifi card does not.

How you can easily tell if a wifi N card is dual band...

If the suffix ends in b/g/n like yours does, then it is a single band 2.4 Ghz only wifi card.

Dual band wifi N cards have suffixes that end in a/b/g/n or a/g/n.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

@Kronos_2003 

Your machine only has ONE antenna. You can use the following cards but you need one more antenna because you won't get full benefit of new card

• Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3168 802.11 ac 1x1 WiFi + BT 4.2 Combo (non-vPro) part # 863934-855
  • Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 802.11AC 2x2 WiFi + BT 4.2 Combo Adapter (non-vPro) part # 901229-855

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Can i send my device into HP for this upgrade?

How much would this cost?

I am currently located in Ireland

HP Recommended

Hi, @Kronos_2003 

There is a dual band AC wifi card that works with only 1 antenna, and that is this one...

Realtek RTL8821CE 802.11 ac 1x1 WiFi + Bluetooth 4.2 Combo Adapter (MU-MIMO supported)   HP Part # L17365-005.

The above card would be about equivalent to the Intel 3168 1 x 1 wifi card in that its maximum connection speed is 433 MBPS.

If you do not add a second antenna, neither of the Intel cards will work properly.

The 3168's bluetooth won't work, and I think at best because the 7265 is a 2 x 2 wifi adapter, performance will either be horrible or non-existent.

I highly doubt the HP will perform the upgrade for you, and I guarantee you if they do, you will pay more for the parts and labor than you originally paid for your notebook--especially if you want them to add a second antenna cable.

If you cannot do the job yourself, then I recommend you forget about upgrading the wifi card.

The one thing about the 8821CE card is the only place I have been able to find them is on eBay,

HP has the card on backorder for months now.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=L17365-005&_sacat=0&_sop=15

HP Recommended

353EA115-3F18-4802-8F73-3713070DE956.jpeg

Something strange i noticed: my laptop has the 802.11b/g/n Driver installed but it supports 802.11n

Doesn’t 802.11n support 2.4ghz and 5ghz...could this just be a case of the wrong driver being installed? 

HP Recommended

Hi:

N works on both bands if the card supports dual band wifi, which the 8723DE wifi card does not.

If the suffix ends in b/g/n like yours does, then it is a single band 2.4 Ghz only wifi card.

HP Recommended

@Paul_Tikkanen wrote:

Hi:

Thank you very much for the info, I’ll talk with HP about the card you mentioned and maybe get a quote off them for an upgrade if they can do it 🙂

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

HP Recommended

I presume the RTL8821CE card would work with my HP laptop?, the ports/sockets for these chips don’t really change

HP Recommended

Yes, it should work just fine.

They are both M.2 form factor cards and the 8821CE is the AC version of the card you have in there now.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.