Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY Notebook - 15-ae116tx (Touch)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I would like to upgrade my wireless card to a Wifi 6 card. I would like to ask if it is possible to upgrade it. I just want to make sure I order the right part and that it is compatiable with my BIOS. I read something about some HP's having whitelists but I don't know exactly how to check that. Any help is appreicated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

I have seen forum posts where folks have tried to install different wifi cards in their 15-aeXXX notebooks, and they don't show up in the device manager.

Yes, you are right...your notebook has two wifi antenna cables connected to the wifi card in there now.

I highly recommend that you stick with one of the dual band wifi cards listed in chapter 3 of the service manual.

HP ENVY Notebook PC Maintenance and Service Guide

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 802.11 ac 2x2 WiFi + BT 4.0 Combo Adapter (non vPRO)   HP part # 793840-005, would be the best one of the two.

If you want to experiment with the odds stacked against you for having it work, you can try this model AX card...

Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 ax 2×2 + Bluetooth 5.0 MU-MIMO M.2 2230 non-vPro 160 MHz   HP part # L35282-005.

If you get an Intel card, it must be the non-vPro version or it won't work.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi:

Unfortunately, your notebook has a BIOS whitelist, so you would have to use a USB wifi adapter for anything better than the wifi card your notebook currently has installed.

HP does not release any info on what notebooks have BIOS whitelists, but other forum members with the 15-ae model series have tried to install different wifi adapters in their notebooks and they didn't work.

Also, your notebook only has one wifi antenna cable connected to the wifi card installed.

An AX wifi card would require two antenna cables.

HP Recommended

Hi

I saw a thread related to Upgrading the wireless card of Envy 15-Ae116tx one of the solution says that it is possible. I am sorry I am a bit confused. Also about the wifi antenna I'm not sure but I think my laptop has two wifi antenna as you can see in the photo 

image_2021-01-12_205822.png

HP Recommended

Hi:

I have seen forum posts where folks have tried to install different wifi cards in their 15-aeXXX notebooks, and they don't show up in the device manager.

Yes, you are right...your notebook has two wifi antenna cables connected to the wifi card in there now.

I highly recommend that you stick with one of the dual band wifi cards listed in chapter 3 of the service manual.

HP ENVY Notebook PC Maintenance and Service Guide

Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265 802.11 ac 2x2 WiFi + BT 4.0 Combo Adapter (non vPRO)   HP part # 793840-005, would be the best one of the two.

If you want to experiment with the odds stacked against you for having it work, you can try this model AX card...

Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 ax 2×2 + Bluetooth 5.0 MU-MIMO M.2 2230 non-vPro 160 MHz   HP part # L35282-005.

If you get an Intel card, it must be the non-vPro version or it won't work.

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for the info. If the upgrade is successfull i'll let you know for the others to see

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.