Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 17-e067cl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

This appears to be a common question with no common answer. I have an HP Pavilion 17-e067cl. It is an older laptop that I want to use for my church. It has a single band Realtek RTL8188EE WiFi adapter. I would like to upgrade it to dual band. I don't see any reason to need Bluetooth at this point. If it matters, the processor is an AMD A85055M. I checked and it has the two antenna wires. I'll attach a picture.

I really like the Intel Dual Band card in my personal laptop. It's a 7265 according to the Device Manager. If their is an Intel card that would work in this laptop I'd like to know. If not, any card that will support 5G (and do it well). If there is a way to find this out on my own I will. I looked at the repair manual and it only shows single band cards.

Thank you,

David Chamberlain

20200612_182753.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

An intel card won't work since your notebook has an AMD processor.

Either of these Broadcom dual band cards should work though...

AC:

Broadcom BCM4352 802.11ac 2x2 Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 4.0 combo   HP part #724935-001

Dual band N:

Broadcom BCM943228HMB WiDi 802.11 a/b/g/n 2x2 Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 4.0 combo   HP part # 730668-001

The Broadcom AC card would have the same throughput specs as your Intel 7265 AC card (867 MBPS max).

The Broadcom dual band N card would have a maximum throughput of 300 MBPS on the 5.0 GHz wifi band.

You should be able to find either card on eBay.   Search by the HP part number, not the model of the wifi card.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

An intel card won't work since your notebook has an AMD processor.

Either of these Broadcom dual band cards should work though...

AC:

Broadcom BCM4352 802.11ac 2x2 Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 4.0 combo   HP part #724935-001

Dual band N:

Broadcom BCM943228HMB WiDi 802.11 a/b/g/n 2x2 Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 4.0 combo   HP part # 730668-001

The Broadcom AC card would have the same throughput specs as your Intel 7265 AC card (867 MBPS max).

The Broadcom dual band N card would have a maximum throughput of 300 MBPS on the 5.0 GHz wifi band.

You should be able to find either card on eBay.   Search by the HP part number, not the model of the wifi card.

HP Recommended

Thank you, that is very helpful.

Is there a reason you would choose one of these over the other? Besides that it appears the first card, the BCM4352 is faster is there a reason I might prefer the second one, the BCM943228HMB.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

It is strictly a matter of expense.

The N card is probably half the price of the AC card.

If the $25 - $30 cost of the AC card is not an issue, I would definitely buy that one.

HP Recommended

Thank you again.

One more question since you've been so helpful. There are tons of dual band USB 3.0 WiFi adapters on Amazon. What would be reasons I would want to go with the internally installed card over the USB.

One I can think of is just not having a USB adapter attached and in my way when I can have it installed internally. But in my particular case, I'm always going to be using this on a desk most likely with everything else USB connect via a powered hub.

Are there other reasons the internal card would be preferable to USB that I'm not considering?

Thank you,

David Chamberlain

HP Recommended

Anytime.

It is a matter of preference.

I would never want an external adapter if I could get an internal one that provided the same throughput--mainly because of the reason you mentioned...not wanting anything protruding from the USB port and using up a USB port when an internal card would be just as good.

None of the smaller USB wifi adapters on the market would provide faster speeds than the Broadcom AC card.

You would need a USB wifi adapter greater than the AC 1200 spec to provide faster throughput.

They usually label USB wifi adapters as AC 600, AC 1200, etc.

AC 600 provides 433 MBPS throughput, AC 1200 provides 867 MBPS throughput. 

The higher the number, the faster the adapter.

HP Recommended

Thank you for all the information. It is very helpful.

David Chamberlain

HP Recommended

You're most welcome.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.