Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have an older HP ENVY notebook, about 5 years old.  I configured it with the faster processor, ssd, video, display, and memory I could when I bought it, and it still is darn good.  I would like to upgrade my network card to wifi 6 if possible.  In "Device Manager' the Network adapter is listed as;

Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265

From some research I've already done, is an Intel AX200 compatible?  I've built desktop computers from scratch, but my only notebook tinkering is to replace a HD with a SSD in my wife's even older HP laptop (a total success by the way).  Can this be done if my notebook hardware skill level is only a bit higher than novice?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome Andy, and I am very sorry to read that your notebook must have a BIOS whitelist which prevents the installation of an upgraded WIFI card.

Thanks for letting us know the results.

Fortunately, the Intel 7265 AC WIFI adapter is not a bad card.

I'm almost as disappointed as you are.

Paul

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi:

What is the product number of your notebook?  I need to make sure the Intel 7265 AC card your notebook has is of the M.2 form factor and not the HMC form factor.

Use this guide to find that information...please do not post the serial number.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

If the card is M.2, you may be able to upgrade to the AX200 but you will need to get the non-vPro edition of the card.

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

Thanks.  The details are;

Type: HP Envy Notebook 17t-u000 CTO
           Product number: Y0F94AV

Andy

HP Recommended

Paul,

Reading reviews of the non-vpro, someone posted to that they tried to install it on an older HP Envy (like mine) and couldn't due to a BIOS whitelist because of bluetooth.  Does that make sense to you?  Will that be a problem?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Your notebook's wifi card is M.2, and since your notebook has an Intel 7th generation core processor, it is not out of the realm of possibility that the card will work just fine.

Here's the deal on BIOS whitelists...

HP does not release any info on what notebooks have BIOS whitelists.

Generally all notebooks made in 2011 or earlier have them (such as those with the Intel 2nd gen core processors).

Some notebooks made in 2012 - 2013 don't have BIOS whitelists. 

Most made in 2014 and later do not have BIOS whitelists with a few exceptions.

The only way we know for sure if a wifi card will work or not is when someone takes a chance on upgrading one and reports back.

Most do not let us know the results of the upgrade.

So...it will be a gamble to upgrade the card, but I think it has a good chance of working completely.

The reviews you are reading...unless you know that the notebook came with two wifi antenna cables connected to the card the reviewer replaced, the Bluetooth will not work because the second (Auxiliary) antenna works the bluetooth.

No aux antenna, no Bluetooth.

Your notebook, since it has the Intel 7265 AC card, has two antenna cables, so that is one box checked for compatibility.

With a BIOS whitelist when you install an unsupported card, normally you get a BIOS error report of an unsupported card, and you can't even boot into Windows unless the card is removed.

In smaller circumstances the card either doesn't show up in the device manager, or it shows up and nothing works.

I would recommend you try and find this model card on eBay.

Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 ax 2×2 + Bluetooth 5.0 MU-MIMO M.2 2230 non-vPro    HP part # L35282-005

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=L35282-005&_sacat=0&_sop=15

Below is the link to the service manual, where you can find the wifi card removal and replacement procedure.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05130939

HP Recommended

Paul,

Thanks again.  I bought a new card that you specified on eBay, and it'll be here in a week or so.  I'll update this thread after I attempt the install.

The oldest date for files I can find on my computer is October, 2015 so hopefully no BIOS whitelists on this.

Andy

HP Recommended

You're very welcome, Andy.

Just be very careful when removing and reattaching the very thin and delicate antenna wires!

While the service manual I posted  has the written procedure to remove and replace the wifi card, here is a video from another HP notebook that gives the general steps. 

Your model will have two antenna wires and may not have the plastic cover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jd78uTVKAVo

Looking forward to reading about the results of your notebook's wifi card upgrade project.

HP Recommended

Paul,

Thanks for all your help, but after installing the card my laptop would not boot.  I checked everything, and could find no problems.  I reinstalled the old card, and it booted right away.  I then gave the new card another try, still no boot. Before booting I connected an ethernet cable, and after turning the power on I saw the disk activity light and ethernet light flashing randomly.  I let that go for about 10 minutes, but no joy.  I turned it off, reinstalled the old card, and am calling it a day.

I did learn a little more about laptop hardware, and am now willing to tackle other hardware problems on my own.

Thanks again.

Addendum;

When I had the laptop open, on the upper case there was a sticker with a date that I think was October 2016.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome Andy, and I am very sorry to read that your notebook must have a BIOS whitelist which prevents the installation of an upgraded WIFI card.

Thanks for letting us know the results.

Fortunately, the Intel 7265 AC WIFI adapter is not a bad card.

I'm almost as disappointed as you are.

Paul

HP Recommended

Paul,

I accepted your post as a solution.  Not all solutions make you happy, but they're a solution none the less!

I'm starting a new thread for another wifi upgrade on another laptop, so please look for that.  I should have it posted within a half an hour.

Thanks.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.