Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Pavilion 17
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have been having issues with my Pavilion keeping a internet connection.  It will just shut off and then I can not reconnect.  The red X would come and go. Now the red X has been here to stay and I can't get a connection at all. It would say that I need to plug an ethernet cable in and then today said it could not locate my network adapter. NOW I'm back to the ethernet cable message.  I think this all started after the upgrade to Windows 10.  This is becoming a real headache and I appreciate any help.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@kimbee394 & @HAREN1,

Thank you for engaging in the community. A very good day to you. I see that you require assistance with WIFI internet connectivity on your computer. I will be glad to assist you and let’s get right to it. Terrific observations and great diagnosis made. It is amply appreciated.

Let me gather some information for better clarity to assist you correctly:

• Did you try any troubleshooting?
  • DID you uninstall and reinstall the wireless drivers?
  • Does the ethernet connection work?
  • Please let me know the complete model# of the computer to assist you correctly?

I will be providing a roadmap with some troubleshooting steps to resolve the issue. Let us try these steps:

• First, check if the computer connects using a hardwired ethernet cable on a wired connection. If it connects correctly then, perform all these steps:
  • Right-Click on start button> click device manager> expand Network adapters>then select the network drivers that are listed and right-click on it and uninstall the drivers.
  • Check the box that says delete the software for this device.
  • Then restart the computer and update the bios chipset and wireless network drivers from this link: http://hp.care/2syreDe and follow the on-screen instructions through the hardwired ethernet cable connection.
  • Please select the country and type the product# of the computer. Then follow the on-screen instructions to update the network drivers. Then check if the issue gets resolved.

If the issue continues, perform all the relevant steps from this link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04649175 (HP PCs - Troubleshooting Wireless Network and Internet (Windows 10)

If there are no hardware issues with the wireless card this should fix the issue. If it still continues, then perform a push button reset of Windows 10 from this link https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04742289

after backing up your important data. There is an associated YouTube video on how to do it. This should nail it if the computer's wireless card is not faulty.

If it still doesn't work, A great workaround would be is to buy a USB wireless dongle from Best Buy or Staples or from Amazon or e-bay and plug it to one of the USB ports of the computer. Then connect it to the router to go online. It is very economical and cost-effective and can be ordered for a song.

Good luck and keep me posted about the developments. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue and give the post a Kudos for my efforts to help.

Thank you and have a great week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

i am also facing this problem...kindly say me the solution

HP Recommended

@kimbee394 & @HAREN1,

Thank you for engaging in the community. A very good day to you. I see that you require assistance with WIFI internet connectivity on your computer. I will be glad to assist you and let’s get right to it. Terrific observations and great diagnosis made. It is amply appreciated.

Let me gather some information for better clarity to assist you correctly:

• Did you try any troubleshooting?
  • DID you uninstall and reinstall the wireless drivers?
  • Does the ethernet connection work?
  • Please let me know the complete model# of the computer to assist you correctly?

I will be providing a roadmap with some troubleshooting steps to resolve the issue. Let us try these steps:

• First, check if the computer connects using a hardwired ethernet cable on a wired connection. If it connects correctly then, perform all these steps:
  • Right-Click on start button> click device manager> expand Network adapters>then select the network drivers that are listed and right-click on it and uninstall the drivers.
  • Check the box that says delete the software for this device.
  • Then restart the computer and update the bios chipset and wireless network drivers from this link: http://hp.care/2syreDe and follow the on-screen instructions through the hardwired ethernet cable connection.
  • Please select the country and type the product# of the computer. Then follow the on-screen instructions to update the network drivers. Then check if the issue gets resolved.

If the issue continues, perform all the relevant steps from this link: https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04649175 (HP PCs - Troubleshooting Wireless Network and Internet (Windows 10)

If there are no hardware issues with the wireless card this should fix the issue. If it still continues, then perform a push button reset of Windows 10 from this link https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c04742289

after backing up your important data. There is an associated YouTube video on how to do it. This should nail it if the computer's wireless card is not faulty.

If it still doesn't work, A great workaround would be is to buy a USB wireless dongle from Best Buy or Staples or from Amazon or e-bay and plug it to one of the USB ports of the computer. Then connect it to the router to go online. It is very economical and cost-effective and can be ordered for a song.

Good luck and keep me posted about the developments. If this helps, please mark this as Accepted Solution as it will help several others with the same issue and give the post a Kudos for my efforts to help.

Thank you and have a great week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I did try troubleshooting, it does work on an ethernet connection (have it connected that way at the moment).  Attempting to uninstall and reinstall the wireless drivers.  

The model number is #J9M18UA#ABA

HP Recommended

This helped my issue of restoring my wi-fi to my laptop but now I have another.  I have this issue on my HP All In One as well and it started after the Windows 10 update. I am still connected by ethernet on my laptop because now I have my wi-fi connection with an asterik above it.  When this happens on my all in one, I have to reset the modem and it reconnects. If I don't get on my computer for a few hours or a day, this happens.  

HP Recommended

@kimbee394

It looks like you were interacting with @DavidSMP, but he is out for the day. I'm KrazyToad & I'm at your service. 

If the issue persists on the Laptop, please backup your data and perform the Push Button Reset as instructed by DavidSM

As for the issue with your HP AIO, you can try a System Restore to an earlier time before the issue started ( before the Windows update )

- Select the Start button, type control panel and then choose it from the list of results.
- Search Control Panel for Recovery.
- Select Recovery > Open System Restore > Next.
- Choose the restore point related to the problematic app, driver, or update, and then select Next > Finish.

Keep me posted how it goes

Thank you 😊

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Solution Accepted" and this will also help other community members with similar issue.

KrazyToad
I Am An HP Employee

HP Recommended

It has been a while since I attempted working on my laptop because of frustration. Today, I thought I would give it another shot. Internet did the same as my AIO and I had no connection even with the ethernet connected. I came back here, to go back over every step. I backed up my files and then decided do a restart. Well, not sure what happened but I am currently connected without an ethernet!!! Happy Dance!! I probably just jinxed myself but THANK YOU for the support. If I have any more issues, I will just come back and follow the steps again before seeking to go to someone or purchase a new HP.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.