Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Hi, am currently using a HP Pavilion g6 2307tx but getting really weak wifi signals in my room. Only able to get about 2-3 bars every time while my other laptop can go up to full bars. 

Any help/solution would be greatly appreciated! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Welcome to the HP Forum, Rascal.

Discussion on the Subject of Signal Strength

Bars by themselves can be somewhat meaningless, UNLESS you can interpret the definition of what each "bar" indicates.

Signals are affected by the type of router you have - routers are NOT equal.

• The less expensive router might lack the support necessary for the best performance of the wireless card in your computer.

Example: An older router that only supports 802.11g is not going to provide faster than 54Mbps -- even if you have the best card you can buy in your computer.

• The opposite can be true as well - a good router cannot provide better service than the computer's wireless can support.

Example:  If the card in your computer is 802.11g, then even if you have a Router capable of speeds upwards of 300Mbps, you are only going to get 54Mbps.

The speed and range are limited by the weakest link in the chain.

• 802.11n is faster than the "g", but it too can be slowed down by walls, metal furniture, and other obstructions.

• Moving your equipment, even a few inches, might make the difference to a 802.11g router

AND

• The same might be true for an 802.11n router that has a weak (underpowered) antenna

• Antennas in routers are NOT equal.  Weak antennas in fancy routers can still equal a whimpy router.  You want a router with a 5db to 7db antenna (or better if they make such by the time you read this).

Assuming you purchased the biggest, baddest, best wireless available for your computer, then you may need to upgrade your router.

Bars Vs. Signal Strength

Bars might indicate how well things are moving along, or they may cloud the issue -- depends on the "bars":  who is generating the bars, how sensitive are the bars, and can you tell much from a bar anyway?

You might use another measurement:  Signal strength as measured in percentages, detection, and type:

WirelessNetView v1.50 - Wireless Network Monitoring Tool

WirelessNetView works on Windows 7 and Windows 8 -- there are some issues with XP:  read the review by the author.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can try updating / reinstalling your Wireless driver.  Might help - might be a waste of time.  If you have already done, this doing it again and again won't help -- so I won't recommend it.

Reading:

Notebooks - Troubleshoot Internet or E-mail Connection on a Wireless Network with Windows 7

Windows 8 Stops Responding or Becomes Very Slow After Connecting to the Internet

Reference:

Description 802.11n 802.11a 802.11g

Approved DateEst June 201020012003
Frequency Band2.4GHz5.0 GHz2.4GHz
Speed100-200MbpsUp to 54 Mbps*Up to 54 Mbps
Estimated 128MbpsEstimated 128Mbps27 Mbps20-25 Mbps
Range 1230ft range60 ft range100 ft range
Modulation Techniquemultiple-input multiple-output (MIMO) and Channel-bonding/40 MHzOrthogonal Frequency Division Multiplexing (OFDM)Spread Spectrum (DSSS/PBCC)
Interference Issues Less interference than 802.11b or gIncreased interference (portable phones, microwaves, ovens, etc.)
Product MaturityOfficial Specification to be finalized in June 2010 Official specification finalized in June 2003
Distance Between Access Points Approx. every 50 ftDepends on configuration
Biggest AdvantageHighest speed and rangeHigher speedHigher speed coupled with 802.11b compatibility

Help, Suggestions, and Examples:

Settings to Improve Wireless Connectivity

Sections, various, including:

• Wifi Power Management
  • Notebook wireless balks or won’t stay connected when running on battery

When you see a Post that helps you,

Inspires you, provides fresh insight,

Or teaches you something new,

Click the "Thumbs Up" on that Post.

Fixed / Answered? Click that post Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Welcome to the HP Forum, Rascal.

Discussion on the Subject of Signal Strength

Bars by themselves can be somewhat meaningless, UNLESS you can interpret the definition of what each "bar" indicates.

Signals are affected by the type of router you have - routers are NOT equal.

• The less expensive router might lack the support necessary for the best performance of the wireless card in your computer.

Example: An older router that only supports 802.11g is not going to provide faster than 54Mbps -- even if you have the best card you can buy in your computer.

• The opposite can be true as well - a good router cannot provide better service than the computer's wireless can support.

Example:  If the card in your computer is 802.11g, then even if you have a Router capable of speeds upwards of 300Mbps, you are only going to get 54Mbps.

The speed and range are limited by the weakest link in the chain.

• 802.11n is faster than the "g", but it too can be slowed down by walls, metal furniture, and other obstructions.

• Moving your equipment, even a few inches, might make the difference to a 802.11g router

AND

• The same might be true for an 802.11n router that has a weak (underpowered) antenna

• Antennas in routers are NOT equal.  Weak antennas in fancy routers can still equal a whimpy router.  You want a router with a 5db to 7db antenna (or better if they make such by the time you read this).

Assuming you purchased the biggest, baddest, best wireless available for your computer, then you may need to upgrade your router.

Bars Vs. Signal Strength

Bars might indicate how well things are moving along, or they may cloud the issue -- depends on the "bars":  who is generating the bars, how sensitive are the bars, and can you tell much from a bar anyway?

You might use another measurement:  Signal strength as measured in percentages, detection, and type:

WirelessNetView v1.50 - Wireless Network Monitoring Tool

WirelessNetView works on Windows 7 and Windows 8 -- there are some issues with XP:  read the review by the author.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can try updating / reinstalling your Wireless driver.  Might help - might be a waste of time.  If you have already done, this doing it again and again won't help -- so I won't recommend it.

Reading:

Notebooks - Troubleshoot Internet or E-mail Connection on a Wireless Network with Windows 7

Windows 8 Stops Responding or Becomes Very Slow After Connecting to the Internet

Reference:

Description 802.11n 802.11a 802.11g

Approved DateEst June 201020012003
Frequency Band2.4GHz5.0 GHz2.4GHz
Speed100-200MbpsUp to 54 Mbps*Up to 54 Mbps
Estimated 128MbpsEstimated 128Mbps27 Mbps20-25 Mbps
Range 1230ft range60 ft range100 ft range
Modulation Techniquemultiple-input multiple-output (MIMO) and Channel-bonding/40 MHzOrthogonal Frequency Division Multiplexing (OFDM)Spread Spectrum (DSSS/PBCC)
Interference Issues Less interference than 802.11b or gIncreased interference (portable phones, microwaves, ovens, etc.)
Product MaturityOfficial Specification to be finalized in June 2010 Official specification finalized in June 2003
Distance Between Access Points Approx. every 50 ftDepends on configuration
Biggest AdvantageHighest speed and rangeHigher speedHigher speed coupled with 802.11b compatibility

Help, Suggestions, and Examples:

Settings to Improve Wireless Connectivity

Sections, various, including:

• Wifi Power Management
  • Notebook wireless balks or won’t stay connected when running on battery

When you see a Post that helps you,

Inspires you, provides fresh insight,

Or teaches you something new,

Click the "Thumbs Up" on that Post.

Fixed / Answered? Click that post Accept as Solution to help others find Answers.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I tried everything and then i took the bottom plate off and voila the wire to wifi card had broken.Dont know why or how but i just soldererd it and now it seems fine.hope this helps you out.

HP Recommended

Seen a few of these posts weak wifi signal and not many resolutions.  Try this.  I called an old wise Tech from my old job.  He told me it usually means the power needs boosting on wifi.  To change laptop power settings from HP recommended to High performance.  I did it and, so far, it has worked for me.  Try it.  Might chew up battery cycles, but better than the alternative.  I have mine plugged in anyway.

HP Recommended

i had the same problem on my hp all it was was a broken antenna terminal ..just take off the bottom cover and it will expose the wifi card make sure both terminals are connected only one on mine was.So i soldered it back in place and voila no more weak signal.I dont know how the wire broke inside of the computer but this is the solution..

HP Recommended

I had this same problem after wiping and setting my hp stream laptop back to manufactory settings. The wifi strength was full bars before I did so I knew my wireless router was not the problem. Changing the power performance settings to high performance worked like a charm. Thank you so much

HP Recommended

Watch this video.

I found solution from that video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xb0lLYWZOI

HP Recommended

Bro your solution worked perfectly!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.