Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 15-dy0013dx
Microsoft Windows 11

My laptop has only 2 Signal Bars even when I'm within 6 feet of my router. I've tested this with other networks and the issue persists. My partner has the same exact laptop and has no issues with connectivity.

I've tried forgetting the Wifi, restarting, and remembering it. Tried uninstalling the Network Adapter (Realtek RTL8723DE) and restarting to have it auto reinstall. I've tried going through the HP Virtual Desk. Tried calling Verizon to fix any issues with our internet/router. I've taken it to Best Buy and they told me to contact the manufacturer for updated drivers, but from my searches, I already have the most up to date drivers (think the most recent came out in May of 2021). I've tried messing with DNS Settings a bit as well and nothing has worked.

Wondering if there's something physically wrong with the Network Adapter. If anyone has this issue or any other ideas for a solution, please let me know! 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Hi:

This is the latest driver for the model wifi adapter your PC has:

https://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp140001-140500/sp140207.exe 

If that doesn't help any, the Wi-Fi adapter may have a hardware issue of some kind.

If you decide to replace it, you may as well upgrade it to this model:

Realtek RTL8821CE 802.11 ac 1x1 Wi-Fi + Bluetooth 4.2 Combo Adapter (MU-MIMO supported) HP part # L17365-005.

The card has a maximum throughput of 433 MBPS on the 5.0 GHz Wi-Fi band with an AC router and an excellent signal.

You can find this model on eBay, or Ali Express. 

I see some Intel 3165 cards listed on the eBay listings, so don't buy those.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=L17365-005&_sacat=0&_sop=15

RTL8821CE - Buy RTL8821CE with free shipping on AliExpress

On the Ali Express listings, make sure the card has the HP Part # of 915620-001.

Below is the link to the service manual, where you can find the Wi-Fi card removal and replacement procedure...

Maintenance and Service Guide HP 15 Laptop PC

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.