Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Spectre
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
I have a HP Spectre laptop which has been working fine until a Windows 10 update happened. Now the WiFI adapter (Intel 8265) is not installed (gives Code 56 error when I view in Device Manager). There is a yellow exclamation mark in front of the device. I have tried uninstalling, disabling, updating driver (also used the Intel tool to update driver). Nothing works. I used the Intel site to update driver, I used the HP support site to update driver....no luck. Code 56 error remains with the WiFi network adapter. I tried recovery which managed to get it to work again for 7 days and the update happened again. Stopped working. Very frustrating. Even a USB to Ethernet adapter cannot be installed (same code 56 error and the yellow mark in front of the device). Only thing that works is a USB to LTE dongle so I can get some internet access. I have tried all sorts of rolling back drivers, deleting and installing drivers (pretty much everything that is on the internet!). The WiFI adapter hardware must be good since it works when one of the recovery mechanisms work so does not look like a hardware problem. Can anybody help me with this? Really need the WiFi to work. In Network and Internet Settings, under Network adapters, I only see the Bluetooth adapter. No WiFi adapter. Also, hopefully once I get it to work again, how do I permanently disable ANY driver or Windows update? Very frustrating. Thank you for your help.
11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi
Make, Model and OS please.
SKU: if possible by this method
WinKey + R and type
msinfo32
Read Line 9
System SKU: N6K07EA#ABU

Please do not post Serial Numbers.

Does the F12 Aeroplane mode show?

HP Recommended

HP Spectre, Windows 10 (updated since the WiFi adapter disappears as it gets updated), Intel 8265 Network adapter

System SKU 2LU96UA#ABA

What is interesting is that I cannot even get a USB to Ethernet adapter to work (same error).

Airplane mode shows but now it does not show WiFi sign.  Only bluetooth.  

HP Recommended

Also in the event log I see this:

Device PCIVEN_8086&DEV_24FD&SUBSYS_90108086&REV_78\4&2dbe3f31&0&00E1 was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match.

Must have happened either when I tried to uninstall and reinstall the adapter or when Windows updated.
HP Recommended

Hi

No doubt you have already tried, but.......

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-spectre-13-ae000-x360-convertible-pc/16779579/mo...

HP Wireless Button Driver (Windows 10 v1809)

2.1.9.1 Rev.A 0.6 MB Apr 16, 2019 Download

Intel WLAN Driver

21.40.2.2 Rev.P 19.7 MB Sep 16, 2019 Download

HP Recommended

Yes, tried the driver from intel site and from HP site.  Looks like the driver is not installing at all (code 56).

Also this is in the event log.

Device PCI VEN_8086&DEV_24FD&SUBSYS_90108086&REV_78\4&2dbe3f31&0&00E1 was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match.

I wonder if there is something wrong with the Windows side and not in the network adapter side

HP Recommended

Hi

http://partsurfer.hp.com/Search.aspx?searchText=2LU96UA

does not list any Wi-Fi adapter.

That may be the reason.

HP Recommended

Hi

Copy, Paste and Save in Notepad, as LBB.bat (not a .TXT) and double click to run.
Preferably run as an Administrator.
OR
Copy and use the individual command lines as needed.

Post anything non-personal, but relevant please.

@Echo OFF
getmac
netsh lan show interfaces
netsh wlan show interfaces
netsh wlan show drivers
PAUSE
msinfo32
PAUSE
systeminfo
PowerShell -Command "Get-NetAdapter"
PowerShell -Command "Get-NetAdapter -Name * | Format-Table -View Driver"
PowerShell -Command "GIP -Detailed"
PowerShell -Command "Test-NetConnection"
PAUSE

That should ID the adapter accurately.

HP Recommended

For sure there is the Intel 8265 network adapter.  Has been working for over a year till Microsoft decided to update something and it has been downhill since then 🙂

HP Recommended

The lbb.bat confirms that there is no adapter because the driver is not loaded (remember the code 56 error).  That is the whole problem!  How do I get the drivers to load and the laptop to figure out that there is this Network adapter and use it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.